Advanced Search

My dream French Chef’s knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat My dream French Chef’s knife

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

A few years ago I fell in love with French folding knives and specifically those made in Thiers France by Phillip Chambriard.

A week ago I discovered he had started making a new set of kitchen knives and most importantly a 210mm Chef’s knife with a blade of Sandvik 13C27 razor steel from Sweden. My heart went thump and I contacted an excellent fellow James MacMillan Bullock from North Carolina. We hit it off wonderfully and in fact he has been haunting our forum even though he is a fine free hand sharpener with unusual skill in that area. I will tell you that he is a trustworthy man who loves knives and sharpening is in his blood. He sells the Chambriard knives but also other Japanese Chef’s knives of note. He is a friend of Ken Schwartz and Tom Blodgett so that was good enough for me and I soon had the knife in my hands due to James’s quick and excellent service. If you ever need a chef’s knife you can’t do much better than dealing with James MacMillan Bullock…my word on that!
    The knife I chose has a Juniper root handle just like my favourite Le Trappeur folder. Here is a picture showing my three folders and the knife in question.
    How good is it. Those of you who know me, also know I immediately put my own edge on all my new knives…this is the first one where I did not try to improve an already frighteningly sharp knife. As time goes by I will put up some shots of this blade in action, but for now let me say that I have never had a sharper or better feeling knife in my hands and to top it off it is so beautiful at least to this pair of old eyes.

Best to all
    Leo the deliriously happy guy

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Stunningly beautiful knife! I’m a big fan of theirs as well. I’m not lucky enough to have worked my way down the list to them yet? But I do have one picked out! Right now things that go bang are on the priority list. 😛

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

By the way, I neglected to say that the knife comes with a beautiful leather scabbard. It is thick, supple leather and smells good as only leather can. The Juniper root wood handles also has a wonderful peppery smell which enhances that of the leather.
    Everything about this knife speaks of high quality. It will be passed down to the next generation and in fact the next generation in the person of my 11 year old grandson Owen Wheeler is now learning how to use the WEPS and he will be the keeper of the knives when I move on to my next adventure. 😉

Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

What a beautiful set plus that Juniper has a fantastic smell can you do a couple of photos of the filing work along the spine in the handles
    Here are some shots of my Gilles Laguiole carbon damascus folder.

Leo Nav

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Here are a couple of shots of my French beauties Leo. You have some very gorgeous knives there of your very own. It is a mystery to me why more people don’t own these knives as they become better known. Especially here in North America we know them as Gentlemen’s knives, but when push comes to shove, they are every bit as hardy as their American cousins, they are just prettier and look less threatening.The craftsmanship is excellent and the tolerances too…the blades in all my folders sit exactly in the middle when folded into the bolsters and there is no play when they are extended.It goes without saying to anybody who knows, the Sandvik steel used in French and other European knives is first class and sharpens up unbelievably well.

Cheers
    Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Here they are with blades extended. From top to bottom they are Le Trappeur with Juniper, Le Compagnon with Norway birch and Le Compact with Olive wood handles.

Only the top one is a lock back while the other two are slip joint designs.

Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant

Truly beautiful ~ I have a couple of Le Theirs one is carbon steel with Ebony scales and the other is called a friends knife it is really two knives that fit together so that a friend may have a knife to use as well at a picnic the steel is Sandvik 12C27 with ebony scales.
    The friends knife was made as a limited edition for Au Sabot marking 140 years 1870-2010

Leo Nav

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Those are some fine knives Leo. The friends knife is very unusual. I love the flowing curve that repeats itself in all the Yhiers knives.

Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant

You are right about style I do not like knives that are styled for combat like you say French & Japanese knives are styled often more for the aesthetic although it does not effect their performance . Perceval do some stunning knives http://www.couteau.com as well.
    Leo Nav

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I agree. Inevitably when someone from North America talks about an EDC knife, it ends up looking like a scantily disguised combat knife and looks threatening to many people. :blink: I prefer a knife I can open in public and people do not immediately feel threatened. My wife is not a great lover of my knives, but when she first saw my Le Compagnon folder, she commented on how beautiful it was. Not her usual response to my other knives. Any of my French knives will do anything the pseudo combat knives can do and look pretty at the same time. I have often used my Le Compact knife in a restaurant to cut my steaks and never got a second glance. I am not sure a Chris Reeves Large Sabenza or even the small one would go unnoticed.
    I am sure my comments will cause some dismay to many here but I am simply stating my opinion. Have at it boys. I will parry and thrust with you! LOL! :ohmy: En garde!

Leo

Citadel99
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Leo–thanks for sharing. Beautiful knives. I’m in the same boat on EDC where I stray more towards the “gentleman’s knife” versus the compact tactical folder. Wood has personality that plastic just can’t match but they all have their roles. I guess that’s why I like nice wood on rifles as well…

Mark

Leo Barr
    Participant

Here are some images of the Perceval Knives seven some professional Japanese chefs are buying them . My favourite is the one with the meteorite handles.

Leo Nav

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

now i am going crazy.

man oh man some fine knives.

leo, that friends knife is very kewl ticket….i like it

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

A few years ago I fell in love with French folding knives and specifically those made in Thiers France by Phillip Chambriard.

A week ago I discovered he had started making a new set of kitchen knives and most importantly a 210mm Chef’s knife with a blade of Sandvik 13C27 razor steel from Sweden. My heart went thump and I contacted an excellent fellow James MacMillan Bullock from North Carolina. We hit it off wonderfully and in fact he has been haunting our forum even though he is a fine free hand sharpener with unusual skill in that area. I will tell you that he is a trustworthy man who loves knives and sharpening is in his blood. He sells the Chambriard knives but also other Japanese Chef’s knives of note. He is a friend of Ken Schwartz and Tom Blodgett so that was good enough for me and I soon had the knife in my hands due to James’s quick and excellent service. If you ever need a chef’s knife you can’t do much better than dealing with James MacMillan Bullock…my word on that!
    The knife I chose has a Juniper root handle just like my favourite Le Trappeur folder. Here is a picture showing my three folders and the knife in question.
    How good is it. Those of you who know me, also know I immediately put my own edge on all my new knives…this is the first one where I did not try to improve an already frighteningly sharp knife. As time goes by I will put up some shots of this blade in action, but for now let me say that I have never had a sharper or better feeling knife in my hands and to top it off it is so beautiful at least to this pair of old eyes.

Best to all
    Leo the deliriously happy guy

Do you have a link? Sometimes I have people wanting a recommendation 😉 Googling it doesn’t being up anything 🙂

I tend to fall more on the Tactical folder type (sorry Leo’s! Lol) I want to be able to open my knife quickly with one hand. I rarely get funny looks here in sc… Everyone is pretty much used to it 🙂 as a matter of fact, we do not have any minimum size or switchblade carry knife laws here in my state, so that’s cool 🙂

How thin are those French knives typically ground at the shoulders if the edge?

Josh

Leo Barr
    Participant

http://www.sabatier-shop.com this outlet has many of the Theirs knives by various makers from cheap to expensive. Its a good [place to start then once you find a knife it can be bought direct fro the site or direct from the maker.
    My Le Theirs par Chambriad Carbone blade with ebony scales measurements are
    cutting edge of blade loa 88.73 mm spine by handle 2.97 mm spine above end is 0.83mm the blade before the cutting bevel is 0.5 mm blade height is 19.1mm overall length from tip to end of handle is 206mm the thickest part of the handle (width)is 18mm

Leo Nav

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.