Advanced Search

My 2 fave Spydies

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Spyderco My 2 fave Spydies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Gabriel
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Well, seeing as I specially requested a sub-forum on Sypderco and it was created forth-with, I thought I better put up a posting.

This is just my two favourite Spyderco knives that I own:

Here is the Manix 2, which I only just received today. FFG blade with plain edge. I’ll try to get some photos of the state of the factory grind on this knife, then I’ll have a go at improving it with the WE:

I haven’t got any other blades with Carpenter Products’ CTS BD1 Stainless steel alloy, so I’ll be interested to see how it takes an edge, and how it retains that edge.
    Its composition is: 0.90 C, 0.60 Mn, 0.37 Si, 15.75 Cr, 0.30 Mo, 0.10 V.

This is my old trusty EDC Blue Endura 4 FFG:

This VG-10 steel is really good, I’ve found. Excellent anti-corrosive properties, and it holds an edge very well.

In the lower priced catagory of Spyderco knives, I think these two are both winners. Both nice and light to carry, with a good sized blade for most tasks.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Wait until you try a Balance:

The VG10 takes a great edge but doesn’t seem to hold it as long as I would like. I’d love to see these done in Super Blue!

And a Native 5:

I’m really liking the S35VN in the Native.

Of all my Spydies, these two are getting the most pocket time right now.

We’ll see if that changes when the Nishijin ZDP Dragonfly arrives 😉

Ken

Daren James
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I love my Endura for EDC and working on putting a mirror finish on the edge. Just got my WE, what angles are you using on yours, I could use a little help.
    Thanks

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Which Endura? Blade Steel?
    What do you usually cut with it?

Some things that would be good to know before throwing out advice.

I am not sure, but this might get better response if it was posted under sharpening techniques…
    🙂

Daren James
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I have the same Endura Sam has and I cut everything from boxes to my lunch. It’s my EDC so it gets a lot of work.

I am not sure, but this might get better response if it was posted under sharpening techniques…
    🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

If I was doing it, I would probably start at around 18 degrees, take it to the 1000 grit diamonds (you did not mention what version of the WEPS you have, so I have no clue what stones you have available.)
    Then maybe a bit of strpping with 5/3.5 micron diamonds.

This seems to be a good utility edge with some tooth. This progression will not get you anywhere close to a “mirror” finish though.

So what do you have to work with (stones)? What do you want out of the blade? If you want a good answer, you probably would be well served by asking a complete question.

If I am doing a customer’s knife, I make sure I completely understand their expectations before I even think about sharpening. Often that take more than just a few minutes of conversation. So far, the three or four sentences that you have written don’t tell me much.

I am not trying to be a jerk, it is just hard to operate in an information vacuum..:unsure:

🙂

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant

I have the same Endura Sam has and I cut everything from boxes to my lunch. It’s my EDC so it gets a lot of work.

🙂

[/quote]

Hey Daren. Here’s what I did: 16 degrees; and progression: 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, then 1200 and 1600 ceramics, then 5u and 3.5u leather strops. I am happy with the result, and I use my Endura4 pretty much the same way as you do. EDC, and assorted tasks, cutting fruit, paper, boxes, etc.

John Batinovich
    Participant
    • Replies: 27

I’ve go about 10 Spydies and love them all, but far and away my favorite is the Paramilitary 2. I’ve usually got it with me as part of my EDC gear, along with a smaller pocket knife (or 2), and it continues to prove itself as an excellent all-around performer. My second favorite would have to be the Delica 4, but that’s a tough choice. The Dragonfly, Endura 4 and Sage 1 are right in the running.

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant

Just a little warning note for Daren, that I just noticed with my one.
    I finally got around to starting on improving the factory edge on my new Manix2.
    I centred the blade in the clamp and locked it down, and used the angle cube to set both of the sides to 15 deg, as I’ve decided I want a really steep back bevel on this one. I may then do a slightly less acute microbevel.
    But anyway, I had the angle cube all zeroed out on the base, and set the stones to exactly 15 deg per side, then I thought I’d measure the flats of the FFG sides of the blade, in the clamp.
    I measured 0.5 deg on the left and 3.5 deg on the right.
    So I would have been setting the bevel all wrong if I’d gone with that.
    So as the blade was firmly fixed in the clamp, I decided to go for 16.5 deg per side.
    I calculated that meant a setting of 15 degrees on the left, and 18 degrees on the right.
    Taking into account the angle of the blade in the clamp, it should be a perfectly even 16.5 deg bevel per side, or 14.5 degrees per side less the (4 deg total) angle of the FFG blade edges…

Bit of a trap for new players there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.