Advanced Search

multiple problems with wicked edge gen pro 3

Recent Forums Main Forum multiple problems with wicked edge gen pro 3

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2731

Using leather strops following the 1000 grit will bring out better edge smoothness and sharpness.  You will notice an improvement when slicing phone book paper.  It’ll slice through the paper without snags.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

The crazy pirate
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

Hello Richard, thank you, glad to be here.

I am using Yinama USB Microscope and only the LED light provided from microscope, which is also adjustable. Also, it has Wifi feature which is for me must have.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

All I can say is it takes time and a lot of practice to develop your own personal skillset. I do things that I’ve discovered assist me in obtaining a final objective that aren’t even mentioned on this forum but it works me so be patient and be careful.

The crazy pirate
    Participant

I understand but could I ask you for advice ?

I’m trying to sharpen 8″ (20 cm) chef knife, results are for now are just fine for kitchen work, but for my head it is not enough, I just do not get consistency in cutting paper. I mean it can shave hairs at least on few parts of the blade but what can I do furthermore to get every part of blade to cut evenly ? please if you have any advice maybe something you do so its working for your knives.

I have find sweet spot, ink from marker is completely is removed by stroking from heel to tip. I have right angles (with angle cube) and micro adjustments are tight. Is it possible that is a too big knife ?

I just want the knife to cut evenly all along the whole blade.

MarcH

I suggest you spend more time, effort and pay closer attention to details, with each and every grit, before you move on to the next grit.  With time and practice you will see the difference in the scratch patterns between not enough work done and done just right. It’s hard to do too much work on the edge.  That is you can do not enough, but not really too much.

The results you’re seeing seems to me like your on the right track.  Just work at it more with each grit before you move on to the next grit.  Listen to the sound the stones make when crossing the knife edge.  For me the sound gets smoother and more uniform sounding all across the knife edge when it’s time to move up a grit.

Your stones are probably still not well broken in yet.  You’ll get there.  It takes lots of practice.  After you get the results you seek the first couple times, it’ll be easier from then on.  You’ll have a good idea of what it takes to get it done.

Touch ups in the future are much easier and quicker because the edge has been profiled this first time.  As long as you clamp the knife in the same position, the stones will match right up.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

The crazy pirate
    Participant

Hmm yesterday I tried to sharpen smaller knives and it is easy as a walk in park.

No need special attention on anything and I got razor polished blade in matter of 10 minutes. Every mm of blade cutting evenly.

I must say wicked edge is the best tool device or contraption to sharpen your knives.

But I think the best combination for me is Wicked Edge for smaller knives and water stones for big and long blades.

MarcH

You are making this assessment based on very limited experience.  What, one larger chef’s knife and one smaller knife?

The shorter knives are easier to pull your sharpening stones across them.  Often you can do that in one continuous sharpening stroke.  The larger longer knives may require that you sharpen the length in two or three sections with several overlapping sharpening strokes.  It’s up to you to develop a sharpening technique that produces the results you desire on all different size knives.

Keep practicing with the larger chef’s knives.  I have a lot of them and they sharpen just as well, just as sharp, as smaller edged knives.  It just is more work because they are more steel to sharpen and more to pay attention to.  Keep practicing!

Traditional-Japanese-Chefs-Knives

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    The crazy pirate
    Participant

Can I ask what brands of Japanes knives you have ? I have only one Japanes knife Yaxell ran chef knife 200mm

Did you hear for Eden Kanso Aogami ? and is it any good at all?

MarcH

I too have several Yaxell knives (Gou).  I have heard of Eden Kanso…I do not own any.  They look like they’re nice knives.  There are hundred of brands of very good Japanese Knives.

Here are the brands of some I have pictured:  Yu Kurasaki, Sukenari, Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan, Kagayaki, Masamoto KS, Takeda NAS

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

The crazy pirate
    Participant

Would you recommend and why few of this brands which you have ?

Are they carbon steel so they tend to rust if you don’t care about them properly ?

Specially I’m looking for a good utility knife.

MarcH

My knives are a mix of many different stainless steels, high carbon steels and non-stainless steels.  The steels are a variety of different hardnesses.  I wanted to experience using different style knives meant for different purposes and uses.  To experience how well they cut or slice, how well they hold an edge and how easy or difficult the different knives are to sharpen and maintain in the variety of steels they’re made from.

By utility knife do you mean petty knives?  There are many Japanese Wa handle and Western or Yo handle knives, available.  (I have purchased many knives in my collection from this web store linked, with never a problem).  When you start to shop for knives you’ll find out there’s a lot more brands and different styles and types of  knives than you could ever have imagined.

The Yu Kurasaki knives are probably my favorite performing knives, out of all the knife brands I own. Here’s another source for these Yu Kurasaki knives.  I have many excellent knives that are very nice looking and great performing.  Some of them still make me say “wow!” every time I use them.  Even after years of using my knives, the Yu Kurasaki knives are still the standouts among the very bests of them.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.