Advanced Search

Mounting Knife (without marring blade)

Recent Forums Main Forum Mounting Knife (without marring blade)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paxsman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Just a quick question…I generally wrap my blade with blue painters tape to help prevent marring of the blade.  Seems to work most of the time but, every now and then a knife will move (or slip) if the blade is not a “good” match for the vice.  In some cases you could argue the tape is creating a slick spot between the vice jaws.

So…is this a pretty common practice or is there a better way?

I think I read that someone suggested mole skin stuck to the vice jaws?

Thanks!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Paxsman.

I like to use a small rectangular patch of real leather chamois cloth.  I bought a chamois cloth from the Walmart auto aisle probably 6 or more years ago.  The leather chamois is used to dry cars after washing them.  I’ve been cutting on this same cloth and still have like half of it left.

I wrap the dry rectangular patch around the knife spine where it seats in the vise jaws.  It compresses under clamping pressure and holds the knife tightly and securely while protecting the steel from marring.

20220124_212417-1

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Wicked Edge now sells paperboard shims that have worked pretty good for me. I sometimes use pigskin also.

Paxsman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I picked up a chamois today for 10$ and gave it a try.  I believe this is a much better option over the painter’s tape.  It seems to grip the blade tighter than the tape.

On a side note, I started playing with the scissor attachment today and found it is wiggly in the mount.  If I add the chamois in the vice it takes most of the play out of the attachment.  This is a good work around, but I am surprised there is play in the first place.

000Robert
    Participant

The scissor attachment shouldn’t be loose in the vise. What vise are you using?

Paxsman
    Participant

It is a we130.  About three weeks old.  I sit the attachment into the vice…fits nicely in the middle.  When clamping the vice pushes the attachment up just a bit and then it locks in place.  If I grip the attachment I can wiggle it just slightly with minimum effort.  I would agree it should be tight…just don’t see how it could be clamped wrong.

000Robert
    Participant

Sounds like something is wrong. I would contact WE about it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.