Advanced Search

Mounting a knife

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Roikyou
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

The point of a guided system is to take as much of the human element imperfections out of the equation as possible. It’s like putting a new tire on a car without balancing the tire but you eye ball it, it looks good, so it must be balanced. I’m just trying to understand how it works, with that understanding, either I can or can’t make it work for me.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The point of a guided system is to take as much of the human element imperfections out of the equation as possible. It’s like putting a new tire on a car without balancing the tire but you eye ball it, it looks good, so it must be balanced. I’m just trying to understand how it works, with that understanding, either I can or can’t make it work for me.

WEPS are a precision made hand tool.  It is not a calibrated machinist tool like a CNC, or an automated computerized tire balancer. The knife is a hand made piece of steel with inherent imperfections due to being hand made.  The WEPS is made to help you to maintain a precise angle of your desire setting along the length of the clamped knife while you operate the stones by hand.  It’s still a hand tool with human influence.  It’s not automated.  An automated device removes the human element and error.  Knife sharpening is as much a skill as it is an art.  We’re hand sharpening knives with a helpful guided hand tool.  You have to work with it to make it work.  I think you’re expecting too much from this.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.