Advanced Search

MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Just ordered this… will come in handy for much more than the wicked edge. The panavise should suction cup to it nicely =)

Black Granite

9″x12″x2″

.0001″ flatness

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

OK .. I took  a pair of throw away latex gloves, some wire tires, wire snips, scissors, a large magic marker.

Cut off two fingers, rolled them up on my finger, punched a needle in the end, slipped it over each rod, and secured then to the ball joint with a small wire tire..  they are thin and very flexible.. They seem good, but not sure of the longevity, but right now there is no way any metal dust can get into the ball joints.. this is similar to someone else’s suggestion on caulking tips… the throw away gloves are thin and there is no motion restriction.. plus I didn’t have to buy 36 tips from Amazon.

installed

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

These things work quite nicely: http://www.davesmotors.com/hpi-104968-axle-boot-25x47mm-4pcs.html . I got them from ebay.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to see a photo of them on your machine… I cant see them making the 90*degrees necessary to slide down the rod and then turn 90* to cover the ball joints.

they seem like they might be a bit ridged trying to force them into 90* degrees.

thanks , they do look interesting..

Mine will do the job, and I can not feel any resistance at all..

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hey Bill; Here’s a heads-up.  I use the rubber finger condoms, which work great.  My first try  I tied them with wire ties exactly the same as you, right between the hex nut and the ball joint.  Then one day I noticed a problem with my bevels – the angle was changing!!  What??  Turned out the locking screw for the micro-adjust had come loose and the torque on the ball joint produced by the rubber sleeve was moving the micro-adjust when I made a sweep with the rods.  I clipped the wire ties and no problems since.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Tom… a picture would be great… I wish I could get a small (real ) condom … because of the strength and the quality of the latex.

OK I went to see what you are actually talking about, I was thinking those very thick finger protectors, but the things you are talking about are the same thickness of my latex gloves but with a formed ring at the end… this is much better than cutting and rolling a finger off a disposable glove.

Thanks again.. You could give these to all your friends at Christmas time LOL  ” Look what I got for Christmas everyone ”  ” Condoms ” ( need smiley faces for this forum )

Josh
    Participant

Bill, they don’t need to make a 90 degree turn to protect the ball, just cover all of it. I have been using my upgraded pp2 arms for over a year and no issues, every time I check the joints are clean. I use the heavy rubber cleaning gloves from lowes that are zip tied around my joints, will try to get pics up soon.

Josh
    Participant

My new base is very nice! Poor man’s surface grinder too! Has held the suction from the suction cup over a night or two without coming undone, so that is excellent!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This is what I see with a Panovise…. no place to rest your elbows…it sits too high…. I like having my vice close to the top of my desk so I can lean my elbows on the desk while I just use my wrists and hands to stroke the rods.  I’m not putting down what works for you.. but for me. IM an Old guy with Bursitis in my shoulders and the need to rest my arms and elbows somewhere. I can see what ever angle I want with the hand held Microscope and the 24 inch HD Monitor sitting right in front of my  WEPS. Also I bought a multi pack of finger cots.. in small medium and large.. the smalls work perfectly..

20151130_194652

Josh
    Participant

This is what I see with a Panovise…. no place to rest your elbows…it sits too high…. I like having my vice close to the top of my desk so I can lean my elbows on the desk while I just use my wrists and hands to stroke the rods. I’m not putting down what works for you.. but for me. IM an Old guy with Bursitis in my shoulders and the need to rest my arms and elbows somewhere. I can see what ever angle I want with the hand held Microscope and the 24 inch HD Monitor sitting right in front of my WEPS. Also I bought a multi pack of finger cots.. in small medium and large.. the smalls work perfectly..  

Very cool and totally understandable! But that WEPS in the above pic is my shop Wicked Edge… I use that one to just even up an edge after a regrind so I don’t have to walk all the way inside. 😀 The one I use mostly and for precise work is my inside unit, where I actually sit down. When I am sitting in my nice, adjustable height computer chair, I can rest my elbows on the arm rests and my hands/wrists on the base bar itself (normally I rest the opposing hand to the one I’m working). Works well for me and gets the knife up in my face, which personally I like.

I rarely use the USB scope, even when mirroring an edge. What I do use, however, is a bright LED flash light and glint the light off of the edge to see my grind direction. When I am mirroring one, I reverse stroke direction w/ every grit change and then check it w/ a light so I am sure the prior scratches are completely erased =)

Very nice set up w/ the monitor right in front of you though… Love it!!! That would be very helpful indeed. Right now when I use the ‘scope I have to haul out the laptop hehe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

AS you know, I’m just a novice at this but I have already received my badge of honor… a bandade to cover my first cut with my first sharpened WEPS edge.

just a few shots courtesy of SmugMug.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think a photo rich forum will be very helpful to new members… I may be new here.. but not new to this earth….. LOL we need smiley faces…

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

My new base is very nice! Poor man’s surface grinder too! Has held the suction from the suction cup over a night or two without coming undone, so that is excellent!  

Let me guess!  Grizzly 9X12X2 granite surface plate.  $25.50  I’ve got one just like it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW, Thanks for the thank yous’ ( we need smiley faces )

Smiley Face Clip Art 07

Josh
    Participant

9X12X2 granite surface plate

Wow Tom!! Didn’t know that’s where Midwest Knifemaker Supply got it from!! I got it from here… still, I’d rather support MKS they have been very good to me 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.