Advanced Search

MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

dang dude nice! what is that you have your stones in inside the foam? Looks like there’s another insert in there.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Looks good, Juneau! The case looks great as well, but what I’m interested in is how you managed to remove the case for the storage of the stones. This makes the WE a little lower and with my weak shoulders (if I don’t look out I get an inflammation again) this would be more ergonomic.

How easy was it to remove the stone holder case? And was it easy to fixe the Gen 3 without this case onto a base? (Did you re-use a base from a Gen 2?)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice one, what are you going to do with the cabinet that came with it?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It’s possible to order the Gen 3 without the cabinet. It’s also very easy to remove the cabinet, just 4 screws hold it in place.

-Clay

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey guys,

This mod was easy to do, once I had the correct hardware. I made some better photos for you guys, please have a look. First thing you have to do is remove the back piece of plastic, two allen screws. Next I removed the two vertical sides and the middle storage shelf. To do this, there are 4 allen screws on the top plate, and 4 more underneath the large bottom plate. Once I had had these 8 screws removed, I just separated the two large horizontal plates from the vertical sides. Next thing to do is connect the two large horzontal plates together. Note that there are no threads in either of the these two plates, as the threads are located in the two vertical sides only. So……. I think it took me about 7 trips or so back and forth to ACE hardware before I finally got the right parts to mount the plates together. I did all this in such a way that I can restore everything back to original if I wanted.

I like my Gen 3 Pro twice as much now. With the storage shelves attached, for me, it was a little on the tall side to use, unless I had it on a coffee table. On a picnic table, or dining table, it was too tall, and my arms would get tired from having to reach up. Now, after my mod, there is no problem on any table, even with the LAA attached. The storage unit can be placed to the side of Gen 3 Pro unit, and still used to store your stones. I find it way easier to work with this unit now. Your milage may vary.

The smaller Nanuk 935 case is ideal for this unit, once the mod is performed. These Nanuk cases weigh 8-10 pounds or so just themselves, plus the 20 pounds for the Gen 3 and stones. By the time you add cube, loope, extra stones, etc, I guarantee this case will weigh about 30 pounds. Thats why it’s nice to have wheels and an extending handle on this case, three handles total. Also, it is certified as a carry-on, if you so need. Plus, it’s just smaller and easier for me to handle than the Nanuk 940. Again, your milage may vary.

I’ll be making a video on this mod sometime soon.

I hope I answered everyone’s questions.

Any more questions guys let me know.

Alan

Alan

Alan
    Participant

More photos of my Gen 3 Pro mod.

Alan

Alan

Alan
    Participant

Hey Mark,

Hopefully the previous post I made answered your questions. If not, please let me know.

I do think if you have weak shoulders, that this mod would make the Gen 3 Pro suitable for you. I don’t have a Gen 2 WE, but I think this mod lowers the Gen 3 Pro so that it’s comparable to the Gen 2 on a granite or paperbase.

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant

Hey Geo,

I still use the storage cabinet, either outside the case as an organizer, or inside the case to help organize the stones.

Alan

Alan

Alan
    Participant

Hey MC,

Yes, that insert you see is the cabinet portion that I removed from the main unit. It helps to stabilize the stones when in the case.

Alan

Alan

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yes, it’s very helpful. Thanks, Juneau.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Howie911
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 10

After trying to find the model car axle boots to protect the ball joints and having every source reply “out of stock”, I may have found something that will work as well.  They’re called “red caps” and are used to cover the tip of a caulking tube.  I’ll let you guess what an elf could use them for!!!  Cut a small hole in the tip and with a bit of work they can be unrolled and slid down the rod and stretched over the ball joint.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

After trying to find the model car axle boots to protect the ball joints and having every source reply “out of stock”, I may have found something that will work as well. They’re called “red caps” and are used to cover the tip of a caulking tube. I’ll let you guess what an elf could use them for!!! Cut a small hole in the tip and with a bit of work they can be unrolled and slid down the rod and stretched over the ball joint.

<b></b><i></i><u></u>

Howie911
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 10
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Let us know how they hold up.  Looks neat.  I use the thumbs from medium duty kitchen rubber gloves (not the cheapest ones, but a step up).  They have lasted well.  I took a needle and put a hole in the tip and they stretch enough to pull over the rods with a tight fit.  I also have super magnets at the base which catch a lot of dust.  The glove fingers also protect well from water drips off of the stones.  I get full coverage of the ball join and they don’t seem to restrict motion of the arms.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I’ve got an idea cooking in my brain…I think I have what I need to make this mod… if IM successful Ill post some ( you guessed it ) Photos. LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.