Advanced Search

MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Here’s my micro-knobs mod :silly:

Like the metallic looks, mind sharing the materials or process? Also if you feel like it why don’t we start doing these in their own topic post so they can be sorted by mod? Just a thought B)[/quote]

I took a hex key and cut it into 2 3/4″ pieces. I then bought 2 sockets from Auto-Zone that take a T8(?) and used JB Weld to set the hex pieces into the sockets. They were too bulky for my taste and needed some jimping, so I used a cut off wheel and 1/4″ diamond drum on my Dremel to shorten and provide some grip… Meh :dry:

And, yes, I’d be cool with having these threads sectioned out a bit.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Used Wills mods, but for steadying the knife with the Ram arm I used 1/4×20 bolts of varying lengths and cut the heads off. Then used a Dremel to slot the bolt for the knife to sit in, (you could use a hacksaw also) shown is a small bolt in use. Got all the Ram mount stuff from Amazon

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Nice, how’s the stability? I’m still looking out the window for UPS….

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Cliff,
    Pretty stable, am thinking about doing the same to the front also.

CliffCurry
    Participant

That’s awesome, did you use the 1″ ball or the 9/16th and whats the size on the coupler? It will be interesting to compare…

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Cliff,
    Yes the 1″ ball, if you are talking about the ram arm here is a link to description
    http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U#description

phil loder
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I have a similar setup with ram 1″ ball hardware. the tip support is filed from 1/4″ brass bar and mounted in a Garmin camera mount.The handle mount in the claw clamp I have a 9″ bubba blade in it and there is very little flex with this setup. Before the supports there was 1″ flex on the handle end and 1/2″ on the tip with light pressure.I ordered several lengths of the ball clamps to accommodate knives of different lengths.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Phil,
    Nice setup! Where did you get the boots for the ball joints?

phil loder
    Participant

Thank You, Still work in Progress.

Those are CV joint boots for a RC car. I saw a link on this site a couple of months ago. Ebay item. search for the following.

HPI 104968 AXLE BOOT 25X47MM 4PCS BAJA 5SC USE W/104966 SUPER HD SHAFT

$9.00 for a pack of 4 when I looked today.

You have to punch a hole in the side of the boot for the arm attachment bolt. They are great for keeping all the “Crud” out of your ball joints, even when using wet stones!

CliffCurry
    Participant

Those are CV joint boots for a RC car…

Great mod! Best by far Ive seen…I started with plastic baggies, then plasti-dipped the fingers from rubber gloves. These take it to a professional looking level. Must get ASAP! B)

Consider posting your discovery under its own mod catagory “custom boots” or something? That way when other people come up with or hear of new bootie ideas we can all share and find them in one place! :woohoo:

Aloha,
    Cliff

phil loder
    Participant

Cliff,
    This is courtesy of “Benoit” from 2013 under the general topic sharpener and accessory Maintenance. “Ball joint rubber protection” I just copy the good stuff and add my twist.

CliffCurry
    Participant

Thx for the info. If its OK with you, I can start a new thread under mods and will give credit where it’s due?

phil loder
    Participant

Cliff,
    You would be better off to move the topic I mentioned above to the proper area in mods. there is a lot of good info in that thread. or start a new topic and move my reply with the info and the proper credit for Benoit

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Gents, I moved the topic with Benoit’s mod to the MODS forum.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Modified my Gen 3 Pro. I carry it in a Nanuk 935 case. Check it out.

Alan

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.