Advanced Search

MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Did I see somewhere a pic of someone’s WEPS, with the ball joint coupling shortened, so as to allow for a longer stroke range?

I just received a set of Ed’s micro adjusters and the ball joint is 1″ shorter than the WE.  I have installed them but have not used them yet.  My setup is a WE 120 with an original Gen 3 Vice and 12″ roods.  Not sure a short ball joint is helpful in my setup, rods just  got an inch shorter, but not the end of the world!  First impression of the adjuster kit is that I will be loving it!  Positive locking and no tool micro adjustments!!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

I have been drooling those stainless steel Micro-Angle adjuster locking Mods for the Gen 3 Pro. I even tried to buy the parts from McMaster, but it does not give any shipping price.

If tcmeyer, Ed k or anyone ever decide to still make them I would buy one set in a heart beat.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Lay, arrow back to the previous page in this same thread.  Scroll down through the posts.  Ed K has posted on page “12”.  Click his screen name”NotSharpEnuff”.  This will redirect you to the “private messaging” function where you can compose an email for Ed K.  Send him you regular email address and mailing address and he’ll take care of you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Lay,

Here are the prices for my last order of stainless steel parts.  I really don’t want to make the stainless set any more – just takes a lot more time and the the plastic knobs work just as well.

Total order price for one set of knobs (4), steel rod (1), ball joints (2), and nuts (100), was $47.35, tax was $3.84, and shipping was $9.53 = $60.72 with no labor.  This order did NOT include the stainless steel adjustable spring loaded L arms which you would not need.  Just for info to the owners of the 120-130 models, they are $15.93 each.  So, the complete set of stainless parts would be just shy of $100.00 with tax and shipping.

PM me to discuss.  I’m headed back to the garage to finish up a few sets of the plastic adjusters.

Ed K.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Airscapes,

I don’t think your rods got any shorter. The stone rod still bottoms out at the same point relative to the threaded adjustment rod.

You gained 1/2″ of stone travel on the lower end.  If you predominantly sharpen kitchen knives, then having the stones lower might not be helpful.  With pocket knives it really helps me.

If you find that the shortened ball joint doesn’t work for you, I’ll send you a full length set.  BTW, I only cut ~1/2″ off of the ball joints I get from Mcmaster Carr.  The thread length on those ball joints are 11/16ths as sold.  I don’t know the length of the original WE ball joints.

Ed K.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by NotSharpEnuff.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

I’m spending way too much time on the computer today.

Back on page 12 of the MODS thread, I stated that my angle adjuster kit does not include the mini L brackets shown in the picture below.

Those L brackets are for sale for $30.00 if anyone wants a set.  As always, PM me if you are interested.

Ed K.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

Airscapes, I don’t think your rods got any shorter. The stone rod still bottoms out at the same point relative to the threaded adjustment rod. You gained 1/2″ of stone travel on the lower end. If you predominantly sharpen kitchen knives, then having the stones lower might not be helpful. With pocket knives it really helps me. If you find that the shortened ball joint doesn’t work for you, I’ll send you a full length set. BTW, I only cut ~1/2″ off of the ball joints I get from Mcmaster Carr. The thread length on those ball joints are 11/16ths as sold. I don’t know the length of the original WE ball joints. Ed K.

Thanks for the offer Ed, but I think I will be ok.  I also apologize for just eyeballing the amount of reduction.  The end “looked” almost an inch shorter, but I had not measured.  The over all length decreasing is only about 1/2 an inch as you said.

20190908_154240

20190908_154302

Attachments:
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Is anyone familiar with how to mount the micro-adjusters that NotSharpEnuff sells to a fairly new Gen 3 Pro?  Here’s my first attempt.

Attachments:
    Marc H

That is correct.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

20190210_180348-1
    Just a reminder that a jig add on can be very simple….the angle gauge is critical plus AAG for redoing a specific blade quickly.

Attachments:
    airscapes
    Participant

Do you recall the thickness of the plates, I have a couple straight connector pieces that when put together will not fit in the Original Gen3 Vise

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

My humble attempt at a “mobile” sharpening station that allows for height and level adjustment. The added bonus is that once folded, it has a small footprint.

Attachments:
    Marc H

That’s a great idea!  Looks very functional.  Is it sturdy and steady enough to zero your cube and get consistent readings?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

It is very sturdy (more than I thought it would be ) and I have the ability to tilt the work surface a full 45 degrees. I check the level with the cube and only after that I check sharpening angles.

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Nice !!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.