Advanced Search

Miyabi Knives – Sharpest Knives in the World?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening Ultimate Sharpness Miyabi Knives – Sharpest Knives in the World?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

According to this chef, Miyabi Knives are the sharpest knives in the world. I can’t argue for or against his claim… What I found interesting is his cut test at the end of the video.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

that is some BEAUTIFUL knives right there……….thanks for posting this Johnny.

I also liked the cut test at the end………now, how many of you are going to rush home tonight and try this, or already trying it, LOL. :silly: :woohoo:

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Done!
    I have a custom Richmond Gyuoto and Pierre Rodrique and I love keeping them as sharp as a razor and it’s one of the reasons I upgraded to the WEP2 arms. The WEP1 made sharpening standard kitchen knives a dream, but when you go to harder blades I love the precision of the WEP2. Also helps to have appropriate stones and strops to keep them in tip top shape….in fact better than factory sharpness!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Done!
    I have a custom Richmond Gyuoto and Pierre Rodrique and I love keeping them as sharp as a razor and it’s one of the reasons I upgraded to the WEP2 arms. The WEP1 made sharpening standard kitchen knives a dream, but when you go to harder blades I love the precision of the WEP2. Also helps to have appropriate stones and strops to keep them in tip top shape….in fact better than factory sharpness!

Pictures! Pictures! :silly:

The Rodrique is as nice a knife as I have ever seen! Love to hear a little more about your Richmond too!

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Well, this is nice, but how well do they hold an edge? They obviously come sharp out of the box.
    But very pretty.

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Replies: 67

I have a miyabi and like it alot, it holds a sharp edge well. However it does not get any sharper nor hold an edge any longer than my Shun knives. It’s all about your preference in brand. 16 deg. makes for a very sharp cutting edge on any of the Japanese brands, my Yoshihiro damascus is very sharp also. B)

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Some of the knives in the video seems to be from the 7000MC line.

The steel would then be what Henckels calls MC66 which should be an alias for the Hitachi ZDP-189 PM steel. MC stands for Micro Carbide and 66 is the target hardness on the Rockwell scale.

I have no hands on experience with the Miyabi knives but I definitely do like ZDP-189 so I guess that steel in kitchen knives wold work very well.

Johpe
    Participant

Btw, just tested the tomato on cutboard shaving from the video with my Artifex in m390 at 13 degrees per side… No problem at all, I could basically push cut paper thin slices without holding the tomato.

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Replies: 67

13 deg. Yikes, now I wonder if you can hold the edge after each use. I guess if you are only cutting tomatoes it should be ok, watch out for bones if you cut meat (chicken etc.) :ohmy:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Cool! I’ve got an Artifex too. Not in M390, but in AEB-L. My favourite steel. It’s not the most wear-resistant, but it takes an insane edge…

I sharpen it at 14 degrees. And I use it daily, so I can say it withstands a lot of use.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Johpe
    Participant

@Jack it actually holds up quite well, the tomato test I did now was not with the knife freshly sharpened. It is almost 2 months since I sharpened it and it has been used for various kitchen duties since then.

@Mark I’ve got the Artifex petty in AEB-L, as you say it gets very sharp, but I’m actually a bit disappointed in it since it loses its edge quite quickly for me. My petty is at 15 degrees and sees only light kitchen use (basically vegetables and fruit) but it still dulls quickly and has actually rolled the edge in a few places for me.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Mark, what sort of edge maintenance do you perform on it?
    Stropping frequency, stone(& grit) frequency.

Do you have a couple of dedicated kitchen strops that you treat the edge to on a frequent basis? (Strop material, compound, and stropping frequency please).

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Mike, I have a balsa strop that’s loaded with 1 mu diamond compound. I use it every time before cooking.

That’s sufficient. But for fun I quite often give it the Chosera 10K treatment on the WEPS 🙂 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Johpe
    Participant

Mike, I have a balsa strop that’s loaded with 1 mu diamond compound. I use it every time before cooking.

That’s sufficient. But for fun I quite often give it the Chosera 10K treatment on the WEPS 🙂 .

Aah that makes sense I’m sure the petty I have in AEB-L would hold up perfectly if I stropped it every time before use. But I prefer m390 in that case, it also get freakishly sharp, but it also maintains the edge quite well.

Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

Well since we’re giving kitchen knife recommendations in this thread I’d just like to shower praise on the Akifusa line. I have this one which is the 240mm Gyuto, the steel is SRS-15 which is a Japanese PM steel, Rockwell is 64.

It sharpens very easily, holds an edge very well and, perhaps most importantly of all (and something we often neglect to mention) it’s very thin at the edge and pretty thin for the rest of the blade too. It slices through potatoes like they aren’t even there.

Extremely happy with it and would highly recommend it. I tend to sharpen about 12-13 degrees per side and it seems to hold the edge better than anything else in my kitchen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.