Advanced Search

Mini-Stryker 9500 Auto

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Benchmade Mini-Stryker 9500 Auto

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Benchmade 9500SBK Mini Auto Styrker Automatic

Features:
    Category End Use: Tactical/Military/Law Enforcement
    Blade Steel: 154CM
    Rc Hardness: 58-60
    Blade Style: Tanto
    Handle Material: Machined 6061-T6 Black Anodized Aluminum
    Lock Type: Push-Button Automatic
    Pocket Clip: Removable, Black, Tip-Up
    Length Open: 7.21″
    Blade Length: 2.90″
    Blade Thickness: 0.100″
    Length Closed: 4.26″
    Weight: 2.90 oz.
    Made in: U.S.A.

I have two of these knives, have carried them for a number of years. Overall, I love the blade design and functionality of the knife. I’ve found over time that the metal isn’t particularly hard and won’t support a super acute angle. I finally settled on 20 DPS (degrees per side) with a moderately toothy 1600# finish as a good, all around setting. The springs in both my knives have broken and I’m not currently carrying either until I can get those repaired. My favorite part of the blade design is the very crisp tanto point that I’m able to keep with the Wicked Edge. While I would not buy this knife again, I would carry it once I get the spring fixed. It’s a pleasure to use and easy to sharpen.

-Clay

Jerry Stephenson
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 15

I have one of these. I hardly ever carry it because it isn’t legal to carry in CA. Interesting that you don’t care for the 154CM steel that benchmade is so fond of. I haven’t done nearly as much sharpening as you but I tend to agree with you. Certainly it is adequate for an EDC knife, and I find it pretty tough so it stays pretty sharp for a long time, but I like some of the other steels better. I’ve had really good luck with some of the sandvick steels on Kershaws. And I like the D2 steel althogh I sometimes wonder if it is likely to break under heavy load (brittle).

You probably know that if you send the knives into Benchmade they will repair them free of charge and probably replace more parts than just the springs.

For a really cool auto knife, try the Benchmade 9051. I have one of those also (that I can’t carry).

–Jerry

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

That is a good looking knife! I’ve always liked the all black tactical look and to see it in the tanto is just sexy.
    We can’t carry auto’s here in Texas either so my Benchmade for EDC is the 553 Griptilian Tanto. It’s got the same 154CM so I do carry it and sort of use it but it’s really a queen since I like to keep a polished edge on it and use my Wave (also part of my EDC setup) for utility cutting. I guess I need to just go ahead and micro bevel it and use it like it should be. It’s not like I can’t repair anything I could manage to do to it…

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

While I would not buy this knife again, I would carry it once I get the spring fixed. It’s a pleasure to use and easy to sharpen.[/quote]

Wondering why you wouldn’t buy it again. Want a more acute angle than 20 per side?

Just curious.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

While I would not buy this knife again, I would carry it once I get the spring fixed. It’s a pleasure to use and easy to sharpen.

Wondering why you wouldn’t buy it again. Want a more acute angle than 20 per side?

Just curious.[/quote]

I was disappointed that the springs wore out on two knives so quickly and I think a large portion of the price is to give it the auto feature, which failed fairly quickly. I’d rather have a flipper with the similar blade/handle design. I’d also like to see it in a better steel. If Benchmade were to offer the same basic handle/blade design as a flipper in M4 or another, better steel, I’d be very excited about that.

-Clay

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

I had one of these when I was a cop. My buddy tried to pry open a lock with it and broke the tip off so I made him buy it. Haven’t gotten one since.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.