Advanced Search

Mini grip in 154cm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

So I just took my benchmade mini griptilian in 154cm to the WEPS. Since I only have the full set of diamonds and some strops I finished at 1k and stropped down to .5u. It has a pretty nice mirror and push cuts well I even shaved part of my face with it last night but it won’t pass the hanging hair test. Do you guys think I need to strop more, or wait till I have the ceramics then strop down to .5u, or to Pass the hanging hair test do I need to go down to .25u or lower?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey David,
    What angle did you choose?
    –Clay

-Clay

David
    Participant

Hi Clay,
    I took it down to 16 degrees per side. Do I need to go lower?

wickededge
    Keymaster

16 degrees should work for the hanging hair. Did you try the hanging hair immediately after stropping the blade?

-Clay

David
    Participant

No, I tried it after doing some other tests. It was kind of an afterthought.

wickededge
    Keymaster

The other tests may have been enough to blunt the edge so it wouldn’t do the hanging hair.

-Clay

David
    Participant

Ok, so coming off the 1k stones then 5u, 3.5u, 1u, and .5u strops should create a HHT passable edge? I sent the swing arms in to get the new modification done on them. So once I get them back I’ll hit it with the strops real quick and post the results.
    Thanks Clay!

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

Clay

What is the mod to the swing arms, is it something we could do ourselves without needing to send it in.

Lucky

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay

What is the mod to the swing arms, is it something we could do ourselves without needing to send it in.

Lucky

Hey Lucky,
    The mod is fairly simple if you have the tools for it; the first step is to push out the pin connecting the black Hinge to the blue Collar – if you have a drill press, it’s easy to do with a 1/8″ bit or piece of rod. The next step is to tap one side of the Hinge for a #8-32 Button Head Cap Screw 3/8″. The hole in the Guide Rod and the hole in the non-threaded side of the Hinge need to be bored out to allow a close fit for the screw. I’m also using 0.125×0.23×0.01 washers from Drillspot though the mod works well enough without them. I reassemble using the screw in place of the pin and tighten it up. I like to get it fairly tight, then put a drop of oil in and work the rod a few times until it moves smoothly. You can us some purple loctite to keep the screw from loosening up. I hope that helps.
    –Clay

-Clay

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.