Advanced Search

Microbevel on Asymmetrical Bevel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

This is addressed to Mark76. I didn’t want to screw up the topic he responded to so I slid over to a different category to post this question about the same subject:

my favorite gyuto, a Suisin Inox honyaki, is made of 19C27 steel, which has quite large carbides. I sharpened this at a 14 degree angle. But that is a bit steep with such carbides (can cause nasty chips), so I put an 18 degree micro-bevel on it. That makes it very stable.

In practice I usually end up with a microbevel that’s 3-6 degrees less acute than the main bevel.

Hi Mark, I don’t want to complicate this. You point is well taken with the sharpened angle and micro-bevel.

I recently acquired a couple of asymmetrical beveled J knives. My new favorite, a recent purchase, is a Suisin High Carbon. It like your Suisin is asymmetrical beveled. Yours is described as 90:10, mine is 70:30.

How did you apply the 14 degree to the 90:10?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hodma, I have a bit of difficulty in comprehending this.

My Suisin Inox honyaki is definitely not 90/10. I think it is 60/40 or 70/30. What I do is put a 50/50 microbevel on this.

What you should understand is that a microbevel is tiny, really tiny, even compared to a “normal” edge. The goal is a more stable edge. Dot.

So if you put a 50/50 micro bevel on a 70/30 main edge, you’ll notice no difference in practice in cutting performance. Of course, if you really want a 70/30 micro-bevel that’s possible. But in that case I’d recommend you not to change the angles. Just spend 70 percent of your sharpening time on the one side and 30 percent on the other side.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Just spend 70 percent of your sharpening time on the one side and 30 percent on the other side.

Mark, that opens a whole different line of discussion I don’t want to address here, that being the technique used to sharpening an asymmetrical bevel. You did answer my question though…that you put an even 50:50 micro-bevel on the asymmetrically sharpened blade.

Thanks,
    Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.