Advanced Search

Micro-Fine Ceramics

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Micro-Fine Ceramics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’ve recently released our new Micro-Fine ceramics. I’ve been doing a lot of testing with them and really enjoying the results. The images show the scratch patterns well but before showing them, I want to detail the process I used to assure that we were only seeing the scratches from the grit in question. I wanted a blank slate so I work on this blade until it was super polished down to .25um. I cycled through the regular grits and then finished with the .25um diamond spray on kangaroo leather strops. Once I’d gotten the bevels mostly scratch free, I had at ’em with each of the two grits. Below are the results:

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That is looking great, Clay! The pic after the .025 micron spray is absolutely stunning. (Is there a reason you use 230x magnification on this pic and 510x on the others? Particularly on this pic I would image 510x magnification shows most details.)

In the text you write only about 0.25 micron spray, but the pics show 0.25 and 0.025 microns. Did you use both?

Using the super polished edge as a basis shows the scratches from the 1.4 micron and 0.6 micron stones very well! It would be even nicer if you could add pictures of the 1600 stone, so we can see the improvement over the older stones.

I can’t wait till my Coorstek stones arrive!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

That is looking great, Clay! The pic after the .025 micron spray is absolutely stunning. (Is there a reason you use 230x magnification on this pic and 510x on the others? Particularly on this pic I would image 510x magnification shows most details.)

In the text you write only about 0.25 micron spray, but the pics show 0.25 and 0.025 microns. Did you use both?

Using the super polished edge as a basis shows the scratches from the 1.4 micron and 0.6 micron stones very well! It would be even nicer if you could add pictures of the 1600 stone, so we can see the improvement over the older stones.

I can’t wait till my Coorstek stones arrive!

Hey Mark,
    Thanks for your comments. The image that is labelled as .025um is incorrect in two ways: 1) it is only polished to .25um 2) it was taken at 510x, not 230x. I’m planning on doing a whole series with all the stones that way and then I’ll post them here in the forum and on the grit chart. It will take a while, so I’ll probably do them one at a time. At the moment, I’m having an issue with having lost the toolbar for forum posts so I’m not able to add images directly into the post. Once I figure that one out, I’ll start posting more.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, Clay. Sounds sensible to do an entire series with all of the stones. I do understand that takes time B) .

At the moment, I’m having an issue with having lost the toolbar for forum posts so I’m not able to add images directly into the post.

That’s a common problem I have intermittently, too. Another one for the tech guy.

Yesterday I had a few times when the WE site (www.wickededgeusa.com) was completely unreachable. It generated a 404-error. This may not mean much to you, but it means the root page cannot be found. That’s different from what happens more often: that the data processing or the fetching of data from the database is so slow that the web server generates a time-out.

Ralph Honeycutt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 24

I really like the results of the micro-fine ceramics. I was getting ready to put a convexed edge on a Large and Small Sebenza, but had a question… the question may apply not only to the micro-fine ceramics, but also to the Choseras or Shaptons. If I were to follow the process described on Clay’s video on putting a convexed edge on a small Sebenza and if I have available the micro fine ceramics,the Shaptons (down to 30k) and the Choseras (down to 10k), how far do you suggest progressing with fine grits in creating the facets before beginning to finish and blend the facets with the finer grit strops? Or would it be preferred to stop at the 1600 super fine ceramic and proceed with the stropping?

I woulld appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Ralph

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks, Clay. Sounds sensible to do an entire series with all of the stones. I do understand that takes time B) .

At the moment, I’m having an issue with having lost the toolbar for forum posts so I’m not able to add images directly into the post.

That’s a common problem I have intermittently, too. Another one for the tech guy.

Yesterday I had a few times when the WE site (www.wickededgeusa.com) was completely unreachable. It generated a 404-error. This may not mean much to you, but it means the root page cannot be found. That’s different from what happens more often: that the data processing or the fetching of data from the database is so slow that the web server generates a time-out.[/quote]

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up about the 404-error. We’re moving the site this Saturday to the new server and I’m hoping we’ll solve the speed issue. At what time of day did get the 404-error?

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I really like the results of the micro-fine ceramics. I was getting ready to put a convexed edge on a Large and Small Sebenza, but had a question… the question may apply not only to the micro-fine ceramics, but also to the Choseras or Shaptons. If I were to follow the process described on Clay’s video on putting a convexed edge on a small Sebenza and if I have available the micro fine ceramics,the Shaptons (down to 30k) and the Choseras (down to 10k), how far do you suggest progressing with fine grits in creating the facets before beginning to finish and blend the facets with the finer grit strops? Or would it be preferred to stop at the 1600 super fine ceramic and proceed with the stropping?

I woulld appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hey Ralph,

Good question about the grits – you can probably stop with Superfine or Micro-Fine stones. If you go all the way into the Shaptons or Choseras, you’ll be spending a lot of time on each facet which may not be necessary. Your time would probably be better spent with extra stropping, especially considering that you’re going for convex anyway.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up about the 404-error. We’re moving the site this Saturday to the new server and I’m hoping we’ll solve the speed issue. At what time of day did get the 404-error?

Unfortunately I worked at home all day yesterday, so I don’t know anymore at what time of day it happened. But I think it was somewhere in the morning here (Amsterdam time). It has happened twice before, though, that the site was unavailable for a longer time. I wanted to send a PM to Leo the first time it happened (since I assumed he could contact you directly), but then found out I needed the site to send a PM :angry: .

Jim Mitchell
    Participant
    • Replies: 26

I recently purchased a set of the new micro-fine ceramics at the blade show and have been using the micro-fine ceramics right after the 1000 grit diamond stones. Could someone please remind me of what grit the micro-fine ceramics are?

I wanted to buy the 1200 / 1600 ceramics to use just prior to the micro-fine ceramics; however, I don’t see the 1200 / 1600 ceramics listed on the website. I knew there were some issues with them but I thought the issues had been worked out. Are the 1200 / 1600 ceramics still available?

Thank you!

Jim

wickededge
    Keymaster

I recently purchased a set of the new micro-fine ceramics at the blade show and have been using the micro-fine ceramics right after the 1000 grit diamond stones. Could someone please remind me of what grit the micro-fine ceramics are?

I wanted to buy the 1200 / 1600 ceramics to use just prior to the micro-fine ceramics; however, I don’t see the 1200 / 1600 ceramics listed on the website. I knew there were some issues with them but I thought the issues had been worked out. Are the 1200 / 1600 ceramics still available?

Thank you!

Jim

Hey Jim,

We’re still sorting through some stuff with our supplier and considering whether we’ll re-order with them. I think we’ve got the issue with the stones resolved but aren’t happy with the way they handled it. Our issue is that we back our product 100%. If any of our suppliers don’t also back their product, we can’t use them, so we’re in a quandary about it because I really like the stones and they’re very unique. We should make a decision about it in the next week or two.

–Clay

-Clay

Jim Mitchell
    Participant
    • Replies: 26

Thank you!

Jim

Hey Jim,

We’re still sorting through some stuff with our supplier and considering whether we’ll re-order with them. I think we’ve got the issue with the stones resolved but aren’t happy with the way they handled it. Our issue is that we back our product 100%. If any of our suppliers don’t also back their product, we can’t use them, so we’re in a quandary about it because I really like the stones and they’re very unique. We should make a decision about it in the next week or two.

–Clay[/quote]

Thanks Clay. You guys are great and the customer service you provide is second to none so good luck!

In the meantime, I’ll be going from the 1000 grit diamond stones to the 1.4 / .6 micro-fine ceramics (15,000 / 30,000) and then on to the stops? I know there is a large gap between the 1000 grit diamond stones and the micro-fine ceramics so I’ll definitely be waiting to hear what you decide on the 1200 / 1600 ceramics. If you decide not to re-order those ceramics, could you please recommend the best choice for me to fill that gap?

Thanks again,
    Jim

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks Clay. You guys are great and the customer service you provide is second to none so good luck!

In the meantime, I’ll be going from the 1000 grit diamond stones to the 1.4 / .6 micro-fine ceramics (15,000 / 30,000) and then on to the stops? I know there is a large gap between the 1000 grit diamond stones and the micro-fine ceramics so I’ll definitely be waiting to hear what you decide on the 1200 / 1600 ceramics. If you decide not to re-order those ceramics, could you please recommend the best choice for me to fill that gap?

Thanks again,
    Jim

Jim,

I’ve had great luck with the new micro-fine ceramics immediately after the 1000 grit stone, so I think you’re safe to just dive right in. I’m pretty surprised by how aggressive the brown stone is. The actual grit is hard to calculate since the supplier doesn’t use standard scales and instead uses RA or Roughness Average. The 1.4um/.6um rating was provided by their engineers, but I want to do my own analysis so I’ve got a 2000x metallurgic microscope on order, it comes in Wednesday. Once it arrives and I get it set up, I’ll be taking measurements of the scratches and hopefully be able to determine the actual grit more effectively. Then I will do the same for every grit we offer and any others I can get my hands on. Then we’ll update our table accordingly, though maybe I should first figure out how to add more hours into the day…

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

I want to do my own analysis so I’ve got a 2000x metallurgic microscope on order, it comes in Wednesday. Once it arrives and I get it set up, I’ll be taking measurements of the scratches and hopefully be able to determine the actual grit more effectively.

That is utterly, utterly cool, Clay! Wow! 2000x!

Then I will do the same for every grit we offer and any others I can get my hands on. Then we’ll update our table accordingly, though maybe I should first figure out how to add more hours into the day…

That sounds as if a scratch size comparison chart (http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/counting-scratches-abrasion-by-the-wicked-edge-pastes/) might finally come true! The first objective comparison of stones based on their effects rather than on the basis of what people (say they) put in a stone.

Woohoo!

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

Does anyone have experience or thoughts about the following?

Since the new 1.4 / .6 micro-fine ceramics are 15,000 / 30,000, does that make the Chosera stones (that only go to 10,000) no longer necessary? Or would using the 10,000 Chosera before (or after) the Micro-Fine Ceramics but before the strops, make sense?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hey guys. How the micro-fine ceramics fit into the mix is creating a lot of questions, with me as well. The stone manufacturer uses a different grit rating than what we’re used to (the many we’re used to) call RA, or roughness average. They sent me the specs for the grit early on as 1.4um and .6, but I have doubts that we can really rate it that fine. My new 2000x microscope came this week and my plan is to measure the scratch size that the stones leave and rate them accordingly. The only issue I’m bumping up against is needing a NIST traceable micro-ruler to calibrate the scope. Once I’ve gotten a chance to rate the stones, I’ll post them and we’ll all have a lot more clarity on the best way to include them in our progressions. So far, I’ve been having great success using them after the Superfine ceramics and before the strops. The brown stone is also surprisingly aggressive and I’ve had success using it after the 600# and/or 1000# diamonds. I haven’t done much microscopy to see how refined the edge looks, but the knife is cutting like a demon. I also haven’t done any retention tests so I don’t know how that kind of edge will hold up, but I suspect it will hold up well. I’m taking my kit up to the mountains this weekend and plan on sharpening the knives up there with just the micro-fines and seeing how they perform in the kitchen. I think they’re going to give the perfect edge for meat slicing, but whatever happens, I’ll be sure to report my results.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.