Advanced Search

Micro Fine Ceramics vs Diamond Lapping Films

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Micro Fine Ceramics vs Diamond Lapping Films

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

The 10/14 is the diamond paste and the others are emulsions. The paste or emulsion is just the vehicle to get the diamonds onto the leather. It don’t believe that it plays a role in the actual sharpening process. I prefer the emulsions as they spread more easily and it is easy to get a fairly uniform coating on the strop sruface. I use the 14 / 10 set because I like to overlap grits when changing from one medium to another. I think it yields a more uniform finish and helps to eliminate any deeper scratches that may be remaining from previous grits. I have no quantitative evidence to support these claims. I can say that the 14 grit diamond strop increases the polish on the bevels after the 0.6 micron ceramic stone. There are innumerable ways to finish a knife using the Wicked Edge. I haven’t even scratched the surface when it comes to possible progressions, but I do have a few favorite ways that work well.

Great! That is exactly why answers from experienced people like yourself are so helpful to beginners like me. If I had unlimited funds, I’d buy one of each and try and figure out what works best for me. Your guys’ answers help me from making unnecessary purchases. It is true that what works so well for you may not work equally well for me but it is a step in the right direction.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.