Advanced Search

Micro-Adjust Question

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Micro-Adjust Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Fat Lewie
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Hi!  I am brand new to the Forum and knife sharpening in general having just purchased my Gen 3 Pro last week.  I have been following the WE and Forum suggestions on breaking in the stones, working on technique, etc. by sharpening some very cheap knives.  I have been taking my time and measuring the angle carefully as I change stones and sometimes while still on the same stone.

One issue I keep having is that the micro-adjuster loosens quite easily while I am sharpening…more noticeably on the right side, but also on the left side.  Even after a few strokes (maybe 20 or so) the micro-adjuster will need to be re-tightened by one-quarter to one full turn.  I have been tightening the micro-adjusters only snug / finger tight as I am hesitant to really screw them down tightly.  Is it “normal” for the micro-adjusters to loosen so easily while sharpening?  Could it be a problem with my technique?  Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated…thank you!

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

This is normal, you need to make them very tight or spend more money for after market custom adjusters made by one of the forum members.   These and other custom accessories can be found in this think.  https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/custom-accessories-list-made-by-forum-members/  For the stock adjusters, do not be afraid to make them tight by hand or use a small pair of pliers to get them just a bit tighter than you can by hand..  If you search the forum you will find this is a common issue.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by airscapes.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Fat Lewie
    Participant

Thank you…very helpful and greatly appreciated!

45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

I also had the problem you are experiencing with my WE130. As airscapes has pointed out, there are several items offered by forum members that make the sharpening both safer and more enjoyable. Check out the link he suggested and I’m sure you will find useful information.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Mr Fat, the Gen 3 Pro uses a 2 part locking set-up.  The ball end screw, threads into the bracket from the inside, while the locking or snuggling screw threads in from the outside of the bracket.  The angles are locked by running the screw ends in against each other inside the bracket’s threaded hole.  The system is not very positive and there is often slipping or loosening experienced.

Gen-3-Pro-Adjuster-Screw

Placing something compressible like a small short piece of insulation stripped off a piece of wire, like 1/8″, seems to help.  This is worth trying.

The best way to go is the after market adjusters that many of us have purchased and now employ.  These eliminate the issue.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fat Lewie
    Participant

Thanks to all for the additional info on the problem and potential solutions.  It seems like the WE original design is not the best and a mod / longer term solution is necessary (especially since I am already frustrated by this problem).  I will research further and reach out to one of the forum members for a mod solution.  Many thanks!

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I used “weed Eater” line as the compressible material between the “Ball End Screw” and the “Locking or Snugging Screw” in the “L Bracket” of my Gen-3, 1/8″ long is about right.

MarcH is right after market adjusters eliminate the issue in my opinion.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We are working on this issue right now and have some good concepts in prototype. I’ll update the forum as soon as we finalize the design. I know it’s been a big PITA for everyone.

-Clay

11 users thanked author for this post.
    Modernflame
    Participant
    • Replies: 35

Any update on this? I’m new to the WE and have only sharpened a few knives. Today I worked up the courage to sharpen a Hinderer XM18, but the micro adjust screws on my gen 3 come loose instantly. Even after 10 or 15 gentle, slow passes, the screws have loosened and changed the angle significantly. My first thought was to wrap the micro adjust screw assembly in electrical tape, thinking that the tension in this stretchy material would be enough to prevent the screws from moving. It wasn’t. Fortunately, I noticed the problem quickly so there is no damage to my treasured Hinderer.

Frustrated, I slathered the threads in blue thread locker and am waiting the 24 hour cure time before I proceed.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I understand there has been a design upgrade made by W.E.  I haven’t seen it personally yet.

There is a proven, effective, aftermarket micro-adjuster  setup  made and available for purchase from forum member “NotsharpEnuff “.

I have these micro-adjuster adapters on all four of Wicked Edge setups.  They’re a tool free angle adjuster setup with a positive locking large knurled thumb wheel system that stays where you set it.

You can private message me and I’ll share his product sheet with pricing and ordering details.  Just click my forum name in blue.  That will take you to the private messaging feature.  Here’s a link to an earlier forum post with these custom accessory products sold by W.E. forum members.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SVan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3

I do not understand how W.E. could have released the Gen3 with such a glaring problem. All they had to do was try there own prototype once or twice to see it was a design that was not ready for release. Considering the apparent quality of the rest of the product, releasing a knife sharpener that relies on exact angles but which cannot maintain those angles due to the micro-adjusters constantly loosening is baffling to me. And now after spending $900 on the Gen3 I have to order aftermarket parts made in someone’s garage to get my Gen3 to be able to work properly. Ridiculous!

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I do not understand how W.E. could have released the Gen3 with such a glaring problem. All they had to do was try there own prototype once or twice to see it was a design that was not ready for release. Considering the apparent quality of the rest of the product, releasing a knife sharpener that relies on exact angles but which cannot maintain those angles due to the micro-adjusters constantly loosening is baffling to me. And now after spending $900 on the Gen3 I have to order aftermarket parts made in someone’s garage to get my Gen3 to be able to work properly. Ridiculous!

I have the WE130 and don’t know much about the Gen3. The micro-adjusters on my WE130 always stay tight. It might be easier and better to put a couple wraps of Teflon tape on the threads.

000Robert
    Participant

I understand there has been a design upgrade made by W.E. I haven’t seen it personally yet. There is a proven, effective, aftermarket micro-adjuster setup made and available for purchase from forum member “NotsharpEnuff “. I have these micro-adjuster adapters on all four of Wicked Edge setups. They’re a tool free angle adjuster setup with a positive locking large knurled thumb wheel system that stays where you set it. You can private message me and I’ll share his product sheet with pricing and ordering details. Just click my forum name in blue. That will take you to the private messaging feature. Here’s a link to an earlier forum post with these custom accessory products sold by W.E. forum members.

Hi Marc. I ordered the SS micro-adjusters, stone and strop covers, and other goodies the other day. They are supposed to be shipped on Monday. Thanks for all the help!

Modernflame
    Participant
    • Replies: 35

I am not a fussy customer. If a restaurant messes up my order, I’m the cool sort of dude who will smile, eat it, and leave a big tip. Life is short. You’ve got to let stuff slide. With that said, I would like to articulate my grievance with the gen 3 wicked edge. I spent $1500 on the machine with accessories <i>only to discover that this is not a fixed angle system. I’d be better off free hand sharpening.</i> I’m considering a purchase of aftermarket parts, but on some level I just think that WE should create a proper part and send it to me free of charge. As it stands, I’ve secured the screws with thread locker, effectively sacrificing the micro adjust feature in order to gain a fixed angle.

000Robert
    Participant

I am not a fussy customer. If a restaurant messes up my order, I’m the cool sort of dude who will smile, eat it, and leave a big tip. Life is short. You’ve got to let stuff slide. With that said, I would like to articulate my grievance with the gen 3 wicked edge. I spent $1500 on the machine with accessories <i>only to discover that this is not a fixed angle system. I’d be better off free hand sharpening.</i> I’m considering a purchase of aftermarket parts, but on some level I just think that WE should create a proper part and send it to me free of charge. As it stands, I’ve secured the screws with thread locker, effectively sacrificing the micro adjust feature in order to gain a fixed angle.

I’m not that fussy of a customer either. But I will tell them about it. I hope that you did not use red threadlocker. But most people use way too much even when they use the blue threadlocker. It doesn’t take but a few dots of it usually. I bought the Stainless Steel micro-adjusting kit because I wanted it for the extra range. Do you have the old model gen3 or the new model? I have the new model WE130. I hope that your problem gets resolved quickly. WE has enough haters on BF, they don’t need to have more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.