Advanced Search

Maxamet? Weird results

Recent Forums Main Forum Maxamet? Weird results

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Hey guys, been a while.

Had a weird experience sharpening a Spyderco Native 5 Maxamet and wanted to see if anyone had different (or better) results.

Ran it through the Atoma plates 140->1200 at 12° per side but the final edge (under 20x loupe) looks wavy, not the crisp uniform grind I’m used to. Any thoughts?

I guess it could be the high carbide volume? Just not sure. I haven’t run into this before,

Thanks

Ken

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Any pics of the edge with your scope Ken?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Any pics of the edge with your scope Ken?

I don’t, but this is a picture Cliff Stamp posted that is pretty similar

Attachments:
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I found it interesting that his pictures showed the same scenario I’m seeing. Maybe this is just the way Maxamet behaves but I wanted to see if anyone here has seen the same thing.

Sharpening it was very odd. I thinned the edge a lot (which took FOREVER) but as I was forming the apex the edge seemed to crumble away (for lack of a better term) Initially I thought maybe it was over heated during the factory grind, I’ve seen that before. But the further I took it, it just kept happening.

The thing I can’t (okay, can’t EASILY, haha) get through is the pieces that seem to fall out are way larger than the grit in on. So, the 140 plates left huge “chips”. As I moved down in grit size, that improved but the “chips” at each level were 15x the size of the grit being used. I would not normally be trying to remove something that size even with the grit I was on, let alone going down another level.

By the time I was using the 1200 plates it seemed like I was just polishing the peaks. 1200 grit would take 40,000 stokes to remove what I’m seeing (this knife already has 6,000+ Strokes on it, just to get to this point.

Unless someone here has some better ideas, I think I may widen the angle and see if I can refine just the edge with ceramics or diamond films. Even if that works I think it will be a long process and not leave the edge I was trying to get, but that just might not be possible with this steel.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah try adding a microbevel and see how it does… That’s super interesting, I don’t have any experience with maxamet that I know of

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Sharpening it was very odd. I thinned the edge a lot (which took FOREVER) but as I was forming the apex the edge seemed to crumble away (for lack of a better term) Initially I thought maybe it was over heated during the factory grind, I’ve seen that before. But the further I took it, it just kept happening. The thing I can’t (okay, can’t EASILY, haha) get through is the pieces that seem to fall out are way larger than the grit in on

I have shared a similar experience, (I wrote about in an earlier thread on this Forum) when sharpening some Japanese Kitchen knives made of SG2 Steel that is categorized as “Powdered High Speed Tool Steel” or “micro-carbide powdered Crucible Steel”. This steel is Cryodur Ice Hardened to Hrc 62 or 63. I now only sharpen these type of knives with wetstones. The smoothest edge I can get still has very tiny microchips down the bevel visible only at high power with the USB mscope. The knives are very sharp and very durable, just a PIA to sharpen. I do sharpen them at 14 dps. ….I looked up Maxamet for the type steel in your knife: Spyderco says it’s hardened to Hrc 67-68.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I have shared a similar experience, (I wrote about in an earlier thread on this Forum) when sharpening some Japanese Kitchen knives made of SG2 Steel that is categorized as “Powdered High Speed Tool Steel” or “micro-carbide powdered Crucible Steel”. This steel is Cryodur Ice Hardened to Hrc 62 or 63. I now only sharpen these type of knives with wetstones. The smoothest edge I can get still has very tiny microchips down the bevel visible only at high power with the USB mscope. The knives are very sharp and very durable, just a PIA to sharpen. I do sharpen them at 14 dps. ….I looked up Maxamet for the type steel in your knife: Spyderco says it’s hardened to Hrc 67-68.

I saw your post after I posted and thought ‘gee, that sounds very similar’!

Good advice. I’ll get both wetstones and ceramics a shot and see what happens.

Yeah, Spyderco ran these pretty hard from what I understand. Could be part of the issue along with the carbide volume.

Thanks guys!

Ken

Marc H

I saw your post after I posted and thought ‘gee, that sounds very similar’!  Could be part of the issue along with the carbide volume. Thanks guys! Ken

Ken I tried to get a Forum Category on Sharpening Super Stainless Steels going but no one cared to follow or contribute. I really think these steels are a totally separate animal requiring a little different finesse or sharpening technique. Thanks

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Ken I tried to get a Forum Category on Sharpening Super Stainless Steels going but no one cared to follow or contribute. I really think these steels are a totally separate animal requiring a little different finesse or sharpening technique. Thanks

I’m coming to agree about that. Great idea.

Ken

Marc H

It was in the forum under: Technique and Sharpening Strategies, Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies, Sharpening Japanese Stainless Steel and High Speed Tool Steel

Thanks

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

There’s some who eschew diamond sharpening, claiming that it doesn’t cut as smoothly as waterstones.  I wonder if this sort of experience drives that thought.

What you describe here is almost exactly what I saw when I tried to sharpen ceramic knives.  No matter what grit I seemed to use, pieces of the edge would break off, leaving a ragged edge completely different from what we normally see with steels.  It’s almost as though I was applying too much pressure against a too brittle edge.  So I’d question if the steel in your Maxamet is doing the same thing.  The hardness claimed by the maker isn’t always accurate.  They might be using the correct heat-treating formula for a batch of blades in this steel, but there might be a “fly in the oinment,” such as too much chromium.  They may also have erred in the quenching or cryo procedure, leaving the edge way too hard.  Fact is, I really don’t know squat about steels beyond what I read here or see at the WEPS, so I’ll tag it as “For what it’s worth.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Agreed TC, it is kinda like what you see on ceramic blades. A bit less regular (more random) but good analogy.

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Thank you, guys! Switching media was exactly what was needed. I’d become so enamored of these Atoma plates and the slightly toothy edge they leave that I’d kinda just packed everything else away for the time being.

But (apparently) that won’t work for these very hard, high carbide steels. (At least I can’t do it) Switching over to the micro ceramics left a beautiful clean edge on the Maxamet. Revisiting my K390 Urbans, I actually noticed the same phenomenon. It was much more subtle and I hadn’t spent the time to really look at the edge, but once I did, that same wavey/chippy edge could be seen, just several orders of magnitude less than on the Maxamet. Didn’t take long on the micro ceramics to clean those up too.

So, going forward, on these hard/high carbide steels, I still plan the use the Atomas to thin the edge if needed, but once I get near the apex I’m going to switch out to water stones and/or ceramics to finish it up.

Great analysis and resolution, guys! Well done.

Ken

Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

A 24 degree inclusive bevel may be to steep to support such a carbide heavy steel. Cutting the apex off and then putting a 30-40 degree bevel micro on may help.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

A 24 degree inclusive bevel may be to steep to support such a carbide heavy steel. Cutting the apex off and then putting a 30-40 degree bevel micro on may help.

Yeah, I’d kinda had the same thought, but I wanted to try it and see. I’d thought the edge might not stand up, but I didn’t think I wouldn’t even be able to form it.

In a sense that’s exactly what I did, but doing the “micro” (It’s larger than I’d consider a micro) with the ceramics really helped out the process. Still a great cutter even with the wider edge.

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.