Advanced Search

Manix 2 Advanced Sharpening Guide Placement with Pro 3 2017 ?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Manix 2 Advanced Sharpening Guide Placement with Pro 3 2017 ?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Okay, since we can rule out the blade tilting in the clamp, I am going to suggest that the knife was just ground asymmetrically. This is entirely common with a factory edge. I don’t know about Spyderco, but may companies sharpen their knives free handed using a belt grinder. A few degrees difference between the angles on either side of the blade is to be expected. The good news is that with your WE you can correct that and make the angles match.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Now comes decision time.

1) Do you clamp the knife in your new W.E. vice and remove new unworn metal from a new almost unused knife to make the bevels even and symmetrical because only you know that they are uneven.  You really only want to do it, because you can.  It bothers you, just like it bothers me, and so many of us, that the knife is not right.

2) Do you use the knife, some, and put some wear on the metal, so it doesn’t seem like a waste to just discard the uneven, unworn, metal.  If it doesn’t matter to you and you bought the knife and the WEPS to use it and do exactly this, to play with it like it’s your toy, then have at it.  Enjoy doing with the WEPS exactly what it’s capable of doing.  See if you can perfect your knife.  Then use it and enjoy it.

If your more practical minded you’ll use the knife as it is and really put it through it’s paces cutting everything you can attempting to wear down this “super steel” so you have a reason to profile it to the symmetrical bevel angles of your liking.  We get it, we really do.  I’ve done it.  We all have done it.  It’s your turn now.  There’s no wrong decision, only your decision.  The worse thing that could happen is you buy a second Manix 2 for a “do-over”.  To try it a different way.  Enjoy whatever you decide to do.  Let us know so we can experience it vicariously.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Has anyone else experienced this coming from Golden

From Spyderco and essentially everyone else.

-Clay

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.