Advanced Search

Low Angle Adapter Off Center?

Recent Forums Main Forum Low Angle Adapter Off Center?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Modernflame
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 35

My LAA is significantly off center, regardless of which way it’s clamped in my gen 3. Is this normal?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

A LAA is designed like the W.E. Standard Vise.  One side is fixed and centered to the vise, (i.e., the side that is clamped in the vise jaws).  The other side floats as it is connected to the fixed side by the locking screws.  That’s basically due to the nature of that clamp design.

The Tormek Small Knife Adapter is another accessory you can purchase.  It holds the knife centered by the handle behind the vise.  That adapter has it’s difficulties or limitations, too.

Nothing is perfect for every knife.  There are limitations to every design.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Modernflame
    Participant

I’m also a Tormek user and I have the small knife adapter. The difficulty comes when the spine thickness of the blade differs from the thickness of that plank that goes into the clamp. Basically, what I take from all of this is that my thread locker solution to the problem of the wandering micro adjust is not going to work.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Sent you a PM

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Regardless of where the center of the blade is, if it’s mounted vertically (the edge pointed straight up), you set the microadjusts independently and the bevel angles should be correct.

Modernflame:  what is the connection between blade thickness and the microadjusts wandering?  I’m confused.

rummels
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 34

Modernflame
    If your micro adjusters are moving, you may want to try the solution that I implemented.  I put white nylon washers between the lock nuts on the micro adjusters and the L-brackets.  I did this about a year ago, and my micro adjuster lock nuts NEVER loosen up on me.  The nylon washer is slightly compressed when you tighten the lock nut, so it pushes back against the lock nut and causes increased friction between the lock nut and the threads on the micro adjuster.  This approach doesn’t usually work well with assemblies with a lot of vibration, but it works very well with the micro adjusters.

Note also the larger locking nuts that I use.  They make it much easier to tighten the micro adjusters to a point where they are less likely to loosen.
    rummels

WE130-Micro-Adjuster-Nylon-Washers

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by rummels.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by rummels.
    Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Modernflame
    Participant

Regardless of where the center of the blade is, if it’s mounted vertically (the edge pointed straight up), you set the microadjusts independently and the bevel angles should be correct. Modernflame: what is the connection between blade thickness and the microadjusts wandering? I’m confused.

There is no connection except that using the low angle adapter and/or the Tormek jig require the use of micro adjustment, which I was unable to do at the time. I had used thread locker to prevent the screws from coming loose. I’ve since removed the thread locker and have ordered parts that will fix the problem permanently.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.