Advanced Search

Low Angle Adapter (LAA) Mod

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Low Angle Adapter (LAA) Mod

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I’ve been meaning to change out the bottom wedging or jacking screw on the LAA with an “Allen Set Screw” for some time now.  I couldn’t find a flat head 10/32 stainless that was short enough not to stick out and catch the stones at low rod angle settings.  Today I got a stainless 1/4″ 10/32 set screw and it does the job.

Set-Screw
    With out the stone contacting the LAA, the LAA set screws, the jaws or the vice, I was able to mount a knife and set the angle under 8º per side.

Under-8-dps

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Do you have a link to where you purchased it? It looks good. It has always kind of baffled me as to why WE didn’t use a similar screw as the factory standard.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

David I bought them at Ace Hardware.  Both Home Depot and Lowe’s should have the stacked cabinets with drawers, on the screws and bolts aisle, where they offer less common fasteners and various misc. hardware.  They are 10-32 X 1/4″ long and screw down in the hole flush.  I took the LAA with me to match the threads.  I went with stainless steel since I use whetstones.  I also bought 10-32 X 3/16″.  These are a tad shorter and sink in below the surface.  I figure depending on the knife’s thickness there may be a need for these shorter ones too.

Both size locking screws use 5/32 Allen Wrench. The screws were around $0.60 a piece.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It has always kind of baffled me as to why WE didn’t use a similar screw as the factory standard.

Thanks for the reminder 🙂 I’ve got our shop working on updating the bill of materials for the Low Angle Adapter now to include shorter screws.

-Clay

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I got my stainless steel nylon tipped set screw from Fastenal

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.