Advanced Search

low angle adapter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ron
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

I am new to the system and love it so far. We have Gunter Wilhelm kitchen knives that I need to sharpen and their website says the knife edges are 14 degrees. So, i have upgraded the WE100 with the larger degree bar and the adjustable arms. I have just now realized I need the low angle adapter to keep the stones from hitting the vise. My question: will this work with the standard 8″ guide rods or do i need the 10″ or 12″?

I had no idea I would have so much fun picking up knife sharpening as a hobby or I would have purchased the Pro Pack III at the outset but I was afraid to make that expenditure without trying it first.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community, Ron.  You should invest in the 12″ arms.  Especially for sharpening wider blade style Kitchen Knives while employing the Low Angle Adapter, (LAA).   You’ll need the longer rods to efficiently utilize the length of the stones up and across the knife’s edge.  The longer rods can be a bit clunky to get use to.  I find, even after years of experience using long rod arms I still knock the rod ends together from time to time.  Especially when I get an alternating side rhythm going, (i.e., left-right-left-right), and don’t pay close enough attention to my rod motion.

You may also want to look into the Tormek Small Knife Adapter, too.  It definitely is a worthwhile tool to have ready in your arsenal for sharpening smaller blade knives like paring knives.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.