Advanced Search

Low angle adapter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jonesthegas
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

Hi,

I tried to sharpen some steak knives (thin and shallow blades) with the LAA. However, I struggled. The screw sticks out and the stones kept catching (see attachment). Is this meant to be the case? I need a slightly shorter screw I think?

Martin

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I took mine LAA to the local “Ace Hardware” and purchased very small short allen head hex screws to replace those that came with the LAA.  It eliminated the issue.  I did write about it some time back and posted it on this forum.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Jonesthegas
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

OK thanks. Does anyone know the exact type of screw I need to ask for or is it trial and error?

Martin

Marc H

hex head Allen Set Screws

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Some Lowe’s and Home Depots stores sell these screws too.  They’re on the screw isle in stacked metal drawer cabinets. Just read the labels…you’re looking for Stainless Steel Hex Head Set screws.  Be sure you have an allen or hex wrench that fits it, (5/32″).  I believe I use 1/4″ and 3/16″ long set screws.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Martin the trial and error is the length of the set screw. the “thread size is 10-32”. I think Stainless Steel is the way to go. I wanted one with a nylon tip on the set screw and found some at “Fastenal” it is 3/8 inch long and is in the old style Low Angle Adapter on the  manual vice.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

The Pro-Pack III I just received had a set screw included with the LAA, in addition to the flat head screw pre-installed . I found this thread while looking to explain its presence.

Thanks, Clay!

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.