Advanced Search

Love the Gen3

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Love the Gen3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mitch roberson
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 5

I have both gen3 and the gen 2, I will keep both of them. I received the gen3 about a week ago, and have been working on one specific knife. I have a PLSK2 and PLSK1 that I have used a lot and pretty much ruined the edge as not much sharpening was happening. So I started with the PLSK2 and have been working on getting the edge correct.

Biggest challenge I have is getting the symmetry correct. One side is almost perfect at 16 Degree’s (really 15 due to width, and measured with angle gauge). But the other side at the same angle again measured with angle gauge is not quite to the edge yet. So every night I work on it for several hours. I had to purchase the 50/80 to make it happen faster but it is still slow going. Lots of metal to remove to make the symmetry correct.

My opinion of the gen3 is it is awesome. I can clamp and start sharpening much faster then I can with the GEN2 but I will keep the gen2 for now as I am trying to see if there are scenarios where it may work better. I will say the gen2 did not clamp the PLSK2 as well as the gen3 so pretty happy with that.

I am watching the forum as I am concerned about lubrication for the gen3. I do use canned air to blow it off but still end up with metal particles in some places that make the clamp feel gritty.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I put a good bit of gun grease on my cam, then sealed it up with tape as shown in the photo below. The foil tape proved to be a hassle when trying to remove it, so I’ve since switched plain old masking tape.

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks for your opinion on the Gen3, Mitch! I’m particularly happy (and a bit surprised) to hear that the Gen 3 clamps your knives better than the Gen 2. That’s very good news for everyone considering to get a Gen 3.

About the PLSK2: are you trying to match the existing wide bevels of this knife? I.e. not putting a microbevel on it? I can imagine that takes some time. And the 50/80 stones are handy for that.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

mitch roberson
    Participant

thank you for the suggestion on the tape. I like it and will try it tonight if I have time.

mitch roberson
    Participant

so I am trying to match the scandi grind. Putting a micro grind on is easy and I have done this to keep it sharp while I work on the symmetry.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

As shown in my photo above, I have the Gen 3 vise upgrade. I’m quite pleased with it so far – it works wonderfully with the FFG blades I have – but there are a couple of areas I think could be improved.

On thin knives, like my Delica, the lower end of the clamp pivots outboard slightly, limiting the lowest possible angle to about 17 dps. I never dabble in the more acute angles but decided to try a grind recommended here by someone to reduce chipping in hard steels and use a 15 or 16 dps primary bevel with a 22 dps micro-bevel. Couldn’t quite get down to 16, much less 15, so I went with 17 and 21.

I’ve decided I don’t particularly like the slotted version of the locating key. In the upper position, the key cants downward quite a bit. The lower position works well. The upshot is that the Gen 3 vise isn’t as adept at finding repeatable positions. I have several very narrow-bladed pocket knives which need the upper position.

Tonight I ran my batch of eight cheap pocket knives (of which 7 are all identical Grizzly Z-knives) I use around the house. Once I decided on the blade position in the vise and the rod angles. the process was slam, bam, thank you Ma’am. That clamping lever works slicker than deer guts on a doorknob. It does, however, limit your options in where to mount your RAM rig.

Like Josh, I think it’d be neat to have the handy choice of which rig to use at any time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.