Advanced Search

looking for a fixed blade for hunting

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening Hunting looking for a fixed blade for hunting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Well, I have been researching my first fixed blade hunting knife. I do not own an outdoor fixed blade knife yet. Going Elk hunting at the end of this month.

Here are a few I have been pondering over.
    Boker Solid Forest
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SZ3GLO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UCQFLWGYI55O&coliid=I8W7YG7P1MT19

Boker Arbolito Skinner –I really like the style of this knife but not impressed with the steel for some reason
    Boker JTN
    http://www.amazon.com/Boker-Fuxed-Blade-Survival-Knife/dp/B00A45I38C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XWB7VWJTJKDTSJJJTG9

Benchmade 15016-2 Hidden Canyon Hunter
    http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-15016-2-Hidden-Canyon-Hunter/dp/B00I90HWYU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412577416&sr=8-4&keywords=benchmade+hunting+knives

Benchmade Knife 15001-1 Saddle Mountain Skinner FB, G10
    http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-15001-1-Saddle-Mountain-Skinner/dp/B00IIV3XAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412577416&sr=8-2&keywords=benchmade+hunting+knives

Dont think it will be out in time but I like this also:
    ZT 0180

Also I really like the ZT0100 but it seems too big to use as a hunting knife. neat knife though..

I like the finger grooves I think they are called bolsters? on the spine up in the front by the tip. Sometimes it is handy to hold your finger over the spine so you can feel as you cut and keep in the right area.

Ideally there would be a folder that is like the Boker Arbolito Skinner and then that could fit in the front pocket of the big zt0100. dunno why I like that one so much..old day Rambo movies or something..

Any suggestions? I am no collector.. I use what I have so they are tools for me. I love tools though. 😉

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I like that boker especially with the birch handle. And the ZT is bad looking. Well for elk I’d buy the turtle man” team Jake” guthook Skinner in fine 420 surgical stainless steel.
    Just kidding, there are a lot of good knives out there. Fox river Hunter by brkt in A2, trapper 95 by Enzo in n690co, russian bear by Dendra in niolox, snody big boss by KaBar in s35vn, buck makes an ergo Hunter in s30v..silver stag makes a few in d2. I haven’t really put it out there but I’m also a knife dealer on the side and can usually pass on a better price on higher end knives. Maybe next time I can help you out. There’s a lot of folding skinner type blades, just got to look.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

They all look like good knives though they all seem big to me. After field dressing many hundreds of elk (15 years as an outfitter) I’ve settled on smaller blades. 3-3.5 inches of blade length is my ideal, anything longer gets in the way and can cause cuts you really don’t want. I’d encourage you to find something light and easy to wield with good steel and good grip.

-Clay

Chad Headlee
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

Chris Reeves Nyala

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Chris Reeves Nyala

+1 but only the Utility Drop Point, not the Insingo style blade.

-Clay

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

You might look into the Spyderco Phil Wilson fb30gp. It is light and nimble with S90V that keeps an acute edge really well.

Zamfir
    Participant

Ohhhh man. I should’a known better than to ask about a few knives here..lol. There are a lot of them out there that are so similar and about the right size. I agree the smaller sized is my best bet for the first one.

I like that Nyla, and the spyderco, and the Benchmade. I really need to go handle some now I guess. I wish one of you knife nuts lived close so I could check some out and bs about sharpening.

So..Thanks for nuthin! lol. now I have more choices than I started with lol.

I guess I need to go visit Spyderco since they are about an hr away from me. And leave my credit cards at home..

Wonder if the Chris Reeves is anywhere locally. Need to look.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

if u watch any of his past hunting videos, he does a knife review with each hunt….. generally 4 knives per hunt.

he has just started hunting again now for the season – his name is waco.
    http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=3ecCldHPOns&u=/watch%3Fv%3DN3S5jDpVV4Y%26feature%3Dem-uploademail

Zamfir
    Participant

Ok, so Zero Tolorance ended up releasing their zt 0180 Monday and I should be getting it on Sat. I was very curious about that particular knife because of the steel they used. So, I will be trying that one out.

There are a lot of other knives I am interested in now thanks to all of your suggestions! I have had my eye on a zero tolerance for some time now because of my retired special ops friend and some of his experiences with them. I had one of my friends over last weekend and went on and on–I totally geeked out on him about the Wicked Edge sharpener and now he is totally addicted to knives. He is a smart feller and I now have someone local to bs to about steel and such. He picked up 3 knives in the last 2 days! He has a sypderco endura on the way and I am excited to check that out and sharpen it for him when it gets dull.
    I plan on seeing how sharp the zt 0180 is from the factory and touching it up if it is not as sharp as I like, then it will go with me on my Elk Hunt and I will take pictures of it after. Excited to have a new steel to play with! Thanks for all of your suggestions and adding to my wish lists…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.