Advanced Search

Looking for a new microscope

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Looking for a new microscope

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

I have purchased 5 or 6 different scopes over the last several years. I think the most I spent was still <$100. I continue to use the first model I ever purchased and it’s my favorite still; Plugable 2.0. It is described as 60x up to 250X. I have no way or desire to really prove or disprove the magnification. I prefer to use it set at high power. Others, in particular, TCMeyer, says he works with low power. The lower power gives a broader wider view with less detail. Whereas, high power gives me a pretty detailed but small field of view. I usually spot check along the knife edge at 5 or 6 positions and the tip, then switch around to the opposite knife side, and repeat. I hold the scope’s plastic shroud flat on the knife bevel then focus the outer ring to obtain a sharply focused image. I then applied masking tape over the focus knob to hold it in place. Then as I move along the blade I keep the USB scope steady with light physical contact against the side of the blade. If the image is slightly out of focus I can sharpen up the image by ever so slightly rocking the shroud up/down or side/to side against the knife.

@MarcH & @tcmeyer

thanks guys, really. between the two of you got the answers I needed. took about an evening of looking at scope threads but this answer and an earlier one of yours TC pretty much got me on track. Do either of you guys use a Mac? I saw a few scopes that were limited to PC operating systems and one made reference to a now unsupported Apple application.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by NickedEdge.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Nickededge, I’m strictly a PC Windows and Android guy. There are a ton of USB scopes available.  I always go to Amazon first for searches since it a good fairly complete catalog of what’s available in any product description I seek.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

Copy that, and thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.