Advanced Search

Look'in For A Camera…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Look'in For A Camera…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Hope I’m posting this in the proper place.  I’m looking for a USB camera.  I do have use for it in another one of my hobbies.  $ is a big consideration, so I’d like to stay under $100, although cheaper the better.  I’ll be using it with a Mac.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I own and have used this model.  I use it with a Windows OS.  It states it’s compatible with Mac  It does everything I need my scope to do, including take pictures.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

USB Microscope??

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

I like the one MarkH has.  I’d like it even better if I could use it with my iPhone.  That would be perfect, as I using the iPhone would be much more convenient.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have had four different ‘scopes and I always come back to my Celestron 5MP.  One is a Carson, but not the model Marc has.  Looks like it’s worth a try.  BTW, 2MP is plenty high for display on a typical wide-screen computer monitor at 1920 X 1080

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

I’ll be using it with a Mac.

When shopping for USB microscopes/cameras:

Mac compatible is software for Mac laptops and Mac computers.

iOS compatible is the software for Apple phones and Apple tablets

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Anyone use one of wifi type cameras?  Those seem to be able to connect to iPhone.

Marc H

Read this Forum Post, Wifi Review

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Marc:  I’ve got a couple of questions about the Carson ‘scope you have.

1.  Is the depth of field anywhere near as good as they show in their video?
    2.   How tight is the focus adjustment wheel?  Most of the ‘scopes I’ve tried have rather loose wheels, and it’s difficult to lift your finger from the wheel without moving the camera out of focus.
    3. Do you use it hand-held?
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

If I may, I just got the Carson unit.  It works very well and is simple to use, even for a tech idiot like me.  Hopefully, you’ll get the pics I attached, that show some tests I made.  Depth of field is good, without focus going soft.  Of course, the tighter shot you take or the more you zoom in, the more depth of field drops off.

The focus wheel is moderately tight and does not move without effort.

These pics were taken hand-held and was a two-handed operation, at least for me.  The two pics of print show one at normal and the other is zoomed in.  I couldn’t tell you what the magnification is.

I’d like to try one of the wireless scopes that connect to my iPhone.  I’m much more likely to have that handy, than my Mac.  Also, I have no space for a laptop in my work area, so the iPhone would be much more convenient.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Marc: I’ve got a couple of questions about the Carson ‘scope you have.

1. Is the depth of field anywhere near as good as they show in their video?
    2. How tight is the focus adjustment wheel? Most of the ‘scopes I’ve tried have rather loose wheels, and it’s difficult to lift your finger from the wheel without moving the camera out of focus.
    3. Do you use it hand-held?

I use all scopes strictly hand-held.  The Carson and the Plugable  both I have tightly/sharp focused on the flat side of a knife bevel at high power.  I then applied a strip of blue painter’s tape over the focus knob to hold it’s position.  (Without the tape they can get bumped out of focus while handling them).  Then I finely adjust the focus, as I use them, where I hold the plastic shroud against the knife simply by lifting or ever so slightly tilting one side of the shroud closer and further from the knife. Sometimes it’s up or down other times it side to side.  As I use it at different positions along the knives lengths it changes fine focus, with the knives taper, and just that ever so slight movement locks it in tightly focused enough to take a picture.  I leave the USB Camera plugged in and always on while I’m sharpening.  So it’s ready to use anytime I pick it up.

I have also taped the led light dimmer knobs similarly for a brightness setting that works well for me in most every situation.

I use the software resolution on 800 X 600 resolution.  This helps the image lock more quickly with my laptop then higher resolutions.

I can’t comment on the depth-of-field other than to say the image I see is what I find helpful for inspecting my progress when sharpening.  I believe it obviously has some flexibility in the range or else I couldn’t focus it by the method I’m using.

I have used both these scopes this way for so many years that this method is second nature to me.  I can hold it appropriately in focus and press the rear button to take photos with one hand.  I can roll the shroud up over the tip to view and photograph the apex as you do, Tom.  Both scopes take photos and videos.

I also own several higher priced, better featured, scopes but I always go back to these for their quickness and simplicity.

The software for both the Carson and the Plugable appear identical in operation and features and only differ in the branding and icon.  With experience I have learned to set up the saving file location before I get started on the knife so I can easily assign and find where the photos are saved and compare these newest photos with those of the same knife from previous sharpening sessions to compare wear patterns to help determine if the bevel angles are appropriate for the steel and my use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.