Advanced Search

Little bit lost.. need your advice please

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Little bit lost.. need your advice please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sultan
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hi,

I am going to buy the WE Generation 3 Pro very soon, and I would like to know what other stones and strops do I need to have sharp & super clean edge.

I am little bit lost between the WE 8 stones & 12 strops.

FYI,

• I am a Knife enthusiast, owning over 70 knifes from different makers and brands
    • I want to use the system to sharp my knifes and some knifes owned by my family or friends
    • I prefer to buy whatever I need once rather than buying basic stuff and then add new items to the system, that is because WE -unfortunately- is not available on the Middle East where I live and shipping to my address takes 10+ days.

So, I need your advice please and hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community Sultan.

I own and use both a Gen 3 Pro and a WE 130.  These systems are both the “top of the line units” in the Wicked Edge Systems line-up.  Both sharpening systems use and share the same floating cam single lever action vice with tensioning adjuster split jaws.  They both are equally fast and easy to clamp almost any knife.  The Gen 3 Pro knife bevel angle setting adjustments are done simultaneously.  Accomplished by moving one central slide arm. On the WE130 the same angle adjustments are done individually at each rod arm, ball joint “L” bracket.  This slightly slower individual angle adjustment is in my opinion and advantage allowing you to set the angles individually to sharpen a broader array of blade grinds and knife styles and shapes then the Gen 3 Pro can sharpen.  The learning curve and difficulty using and mastering the technique with either model, the Gen 3 Pro or the WE130 is essentially the same.

Another advantage is the WE130 is available in the Pro Pack 3 Kit that comes standard with a more complete, fuller array of stones and accessories.  Yes, it is more expensive but these are accessories you wanted to purchase anyway. A rolling hard case is included that will fit and hold the accessories.

I would recommend the purchase of these extras:

The 6µ diamond lapping films is included in the Pro Pack 3 set, purchase extra sheets.

That would give you a “dream team” setup.  I have all of these accessories, purchased separately, and individually, over the past few years as I learned more about sharpening with the WEPS and as my skill level and my sharpening technique improved.

(Sultan, your avatar looks like the engraved end-cap of the Miyabi Birchwood SG2 knives).

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

If money is not an obstacle and you decide to go with the WE130 setup then the pro pack 3 is a really good all around kit. If you’re going to purchase the gen. 3 pro model and build off of that, then you’ll for sure want the 800 / 1000 and 1500 / glass stones. Get the 6 micron diamond lapping film to go with the glass blank on the 1500 / glass. The 50 / 80 set is nice to have if you’re going to be doing work on knives with heavy damage. Since you said that you would be sharpening for other people (who probably don’t care for their knives very well) I would suggest that you’ll want that set also.

The consensus on the strops seems to be that the kangaroo leather is the best medium, but I have always used the cow leather and that works very well also. Get the kangaroo if you don’t care about the extra cost. I would get the 4 micron / 2 micron and 1 micron / 0.5 micron diamond emulsion sets.

Accessories: The low angle adapter and the Tormek small knife adapter (not sold by WE, but readily available on Amazon) will be very useful for smaller blades. Don’t forget to pick up a USB microscope, a digital angle gauge, and some sharpie markers as well if you don’t already have them.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Sultan
    Participant

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community Sultan. I own and use both a Gen 3 Pro and a WE 130. These systems are both the “top of the line units” in the Wicked Edge Systems line-up. Both sharpening systems use and share the same floating cam single lever action vice with tensioning adjuster split jaws. They both are equally fast and easy to clamp almost any knife. The Gen 3 Pro knife bevel angle setting adjustments are done simultaneously. Accomplished by moving one central slide arm. On the WE130 the same angle adjustments are done individually at each rod arm, ball joint “L” bracket. This slightly slower individual angle adjustment is in my opinion and advantage allowing you to set the angles individually to sharpen a broader array of blade grinds and knife styles and shapes then the Gen 3 Pro can sharpen. The learning curve and difficulty using and mastering the technique with either model, the Gen 3 Pro or the WE130 is essentially the same. Another advantage is the WE130 is available in the Pro Pack 3 Kit that comes standard with a more complete, fuller array of stones and accessories. Yes, it is more expensive but these are accessories you wanted to purchase anyway. A rolling hard case is included that will fit and hold the accessories. I would recommend the purchase of these extras:

The 6µ diamond lapping films is included in the Pro Pack 3 set, purchase extra sheets. That would give you a “dream team” setup. I have all of these accessories, purchased separately, and individually, over the past few years as I learned more about sharpening with the WEPS and as my skill level and my sharpening technique improved. (Sultan, your avatar looks like the engraved end-cap of the Miyabi Birchwood SG2 knives).

Thank you Marc

I appreciate your time and the information you provided.

Thank you for pointing out the Pro Pack III, it seems more suitable choice for me.

(Sultan, your avatar looks like the engraved end-cap of the Miyabi Birchwood SG2 knives)

Yes, you are right 🙂

Sultan
    Participant

If money is not an obstacle and you decide to go with the WE130 setup then the pro pack 3 is a really good all around kit. If you’re going to purchase the gen. 3 pro model and build off of that, then you’ll for sure want the 800 / 1000 and 1500 / glass stones. Get the 6 micron diamond lapping film to go with the glass blank on the 1500 / glass. The 50 / 80 set is nice to have if you’re going to be doing work on knives with heavy damage. Since you said that you would be sharpening for other people (who probably don’t care for their knives very well) I would suggest that you’ll want that set also. The consensus on the strops seems to be that the kangaroo leather is the best medium, but I have always used the cow leather and that works very well also. Get the kangaroo if you don’t care about the extra cost. I would get the 4 micron / 2 micron and 1 micron / 0.5 micron diamond emulsion sets. Accessories: The low angle adapter and the Tormek small knife adapter (not sold by WE, but readily available on Amazon) will be very useful for smaller blades. Don’t forget to pick up a USB microscope, a digital angle gauge, and some sharpie markers as well if you don’t already have them.

Thank you Organic,

Money shouldn’t be an issue as long as I get the most reliable set.

What I was thinking is to buy the Gen Pro 3 and build from there my complete set.  But Marc reply open my eyes on another set that might be more suitable to me.

I have to make some further reading to pick one of them

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Sultan, beside the Wicked Edge set-up, as Organic suggested, a magnified visual aid such as a USB microscope, used with a computer, is a “must-have” tool for me.  I also prefer to use a more advanced model angle cube. then the basic model included with the Pro Pack 3.

There are other sharpening stones available for the Wicked Edge Systems as your skill level improves and as your hobby interest evolves such as Chosera Whetstones and Shapton Glass Stones.   I wouldn’t recommend these for the beginner.  I just wanted you to be aware of these sharpening accessories available in the market-place.

I suggest you watch a variety of YouTube Videos on sharpening with the Wicked Edge while you’re deciding which is the best tool for your needs. They’ll help you to understand and familiarize yourself with the function and use of the various model Wicked Edge Precision Sharpeners, (WEPS).

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

A great guide to any beginner Sultan, I should know, I am one! My own basic needs are to sharpen kitchen knives and those of my family and friends.

Based on my own needs I bought the WE130 w/ Aluminum Base and the following from MarcH’s list above.

1. 12″ Rods
    2. Safety Shields
    3. Safety Gloves I did buy these Amazon to save a few$
    4. Extra Fine 800 &  Ultra Fine 1000 Diamond Set

My Wish list in order of need and budget

1. (14/10 MICRON DIAMOND AND LEATHER STROPS PACK) 
    2. Ceramics set(s) as yet unidentified

MarcH has outlined a dream set for just about any contingency you can think. My own purchases are based own needs and I would simply suggest thinking seriously about what it is YOU want to do. It’s very easy to become caught up in the desire/need/ of mirror finishes. I personally don’t feel the need for those on my working knives. Now having said that and having just had a similar conversation here on the board I think I would use the strops set identified in a few instances. If my extended family or friends want want a mirror edge they can buy me the necessary accessories! lol!

Good luck and happy dreaming!

George

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.