Advanced Search

Laser Strike

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion ESEE Laser Strike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Specs:

ESEE-LS-P (Plain Edge Knife With Canvas Micarta Handles, Ferro Rod, Tinder Tabs, Handle Removal Washer and Sheath)
    Specs:

O.A Length: 10″
    Cutting Edge length: 4 3/4″
    Maximum thickness: 3/16″
    Weight: 9.5 ounces (Knife Only)
    1095 Steel – 55-57 Rc.
    Serialized
    Blade Finish: Black Textured Powder Coat
    Handle: Canvas Micarta

This sweet knife just came in yesterday afternoon and I got to unbox it this morning. My initial impressions are very good. It has a great weight and feel to it and the overall design is very appealing. For a single blade to take into the woods or keep in your truck, this seems like a very good option. I can easily field dress with it, make fire and shelter and perform a dozen other camp tasks. Out of the box it has a nice, aggressive, toothy edge. I’ll mount it in the knife sharpener a little later and improve on the edge while recording the factory settings.

Attachments:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ve mounted up the knife and worked out the factory settings:

The bevel is ground at roughly 19° per side (verified via Angle Cube.)

Bottom Depth Holes
    B.5 Alignment Settings
    Left side 19°
    Right side 20°

Because I’m using the new Pro-Pack II upgrade riser, my actual settings are two degrees higher than what the cube is reading and there is a one degree offset on the right side to accommodate the thickness of the blade.

The photo below shows the stone track through the marker, showing up the little inconsistencies of all production knives and highlighting the benefit of erasing the factory edge. Still, in the interest of preserving metal and also testing the out-of-the-box performance, I’ll strop the knife just a little at 17° per side and put it through some use before I go back and put a Wicked Edge on the knife.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Leo just posted an excellent review of this knife and one other here: 2 ESEE Survival Knives

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a couple shots of the knife after I sharpened it. I said I was going to use it first, but then I couldn’t resist sharpening it while the coating is still pristine so the edge would really stand out. There is plenty of time to try different finishes on it 🙂

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Here are a couple shots of the knife after I sharpened it. I said I was going to use it first, but then I couldn’t resist sharpening it while the coating is still pristine so the edge would really stand out. There is plenty of time to try different finishes on it 🙂

Gotta admire a guy who sharpens knives day after day, but gets one delivered, sticks in the sharpener, and next thing you know….. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Beautiful pictures!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.