Advanced Search

Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I used my micros one time and I thought they needed lapping right away. When I started lapping I did it the way clay discribed with my 100 grit first but I hadent cleaned the diamond stone and I am glad I didn’t because it showed the high and low spots on the ceramics.It took over an hour to flatten and I did most of the work with the 100 grit stones just to get the high spots out. Now my 100 grit stones are less agresive than my 200 grit stones. I would buy a cheap coars diamond stone to flatten them then work through the rest of your we stones. I would like to see if someone could mic there micro ceramics :blush: before they start so I know how much I sanded off.

Have you cleaned your 100# plate since lapping the ceramics? I get about 1.170″ on an unlapped but slightly used pair.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’ve lapped my coarse ceramics, but just on a DMT EEF… just enough to remove the top “covering” layer… they mic’d around.212 give or take (measuring the stone and plastic… see pic).

You might compare to your fine diamonds… the ceramics are still slightly thicker than the diamonds (not enough to make a diff.) so shouldn’t matter.

Attachments:
    Matthieu Methot
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9

My micros are 1.163 that’s with lapping both sides very hard with all the grits but mainly with the 100 grit stones until I didn’t see any high spots If I had my 50/80 stones I would have used them that’s how hard I worked the 100 stones. I finished with a 14 micron aluminum oxide on glass and I am very happy, even the coarse side feels smother than the 1200/1600 like I think it should I know some people were using the coarse side in a different order but after lapping I like the coarse after the 1600 I did agree before lapping that the coarse felt to rough but it’s fine now. thank you for taking the time to measure your stones. you asked if I cleaned my 100# plate since lapping the ceramics? (I haven’t):blush: I was going on how the stone felt when using it.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

late to the topic but hey i thought i’d share what ive learned. My micro fines were not what i expected when i first got them. after reading clay’s post i lapped them in order from the 100’s up. i found that niether the coarse or fine sides were flat. after lapping them they were now flat and did improve to what they should have been, only there is now a degree change in the way they contact the edge. this slows down the whole process if you are sharpening someones knife. also id use something other than your wicked edge stones to lap with as this process takes a noticable bite of them!now to find the1200/1600board lol

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.