Advanced Search

Knives larger than 1/4 in

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NewGen3P Owner
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

New GenPro 3 owner here.  Enjoying sharpening my knives and bought the 1/4″ jaws for some thicker knives.  I have a BuckMaster 184 from when I was in the 101st and it’s too thick for even the 1/4″ jaws – fits in when they’re wide open but even at the lowest tension the tightening arm is a good 3″ off the deck when it feels like if I force it something will bend/break.  Is there an accessory or someway of being able to use my GP3 for thicker than 1/4″?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum NewGen3P Owner.  I have experienced situations when my jaws are sometimes very tight too.  I have found that sometimes, not always, I can rotate the lever counter clockwise, usually so the lever arm is in a vertical position, (this lever position may depend on how the handle is orientated on the squared shaft, because it can be removed and shifted 1/4 turns and repositioned as needed for different clamping situations). I position the lever so the cam is all the way down, as low as it goes, (if I rotate the lever, just a little more to counter-clockwise or back  to clock-wise, the cams starts to move up again).  With the cam all-the-way-down, I can squeeze together both of the long legs of the vice jaws simultaneously spreading the jaws sometimes just a little farther apart to gain a little more gap space needed.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NewGen3P Owner
    Participant

Thx MarcH!  I can picture exactly what you’re talking about and if I rotated the lever a 1/4 turn for just that knife I think it will work.  Sure would be nice to see that knife with a polished edge. 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

You could try something like the attached. I use it for flexible knives but I’m sure it can open more than 1/4″. You probably would want to do a slight bend on the top long edge of both sides to maximize sufficient clamping surface area. It cost me $8.99

Mod

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

There is no question the gen 3 is a nice holder. Personally I prefer the original vise design. It clamps well and will hold anything!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NewGen3P Owner
    Participant

Is that an adapter you made or bought somewhere?  If bought, can you please link to it?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Here’s a link to a thread you may find useful.

Down & dirty LAA Mod

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NewGen3P Owner
    Participant

That’s awesome, thank you!  I’ll be heading to HomeDepot tomorrow to find some parts I can use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.