Advanced Search

Knifves not Clamping

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Knifves not Clamping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

What am I doing wrong?
    Every knife I clamp will not stay secured.
    I even clamped the alignment guide like it was a knife(totally flat surface), tried with and without chamois, it still moved. The jaws are not spreading. I use synthetic chamois on all my FFG blades, for alignment help. I have used this system successfully before on the same knives, it has been awhile since I have used it though. Am wondering if I am having a brain fart and forgetting something?
    I called WE customer support, and as always they were great! They are sending new clamps, but I’m not sure if that is the problem, the clamps look OK. Am attaching a link to a video of what I am trying to explain.

Chad Headlee
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

In my opinion, you are bearing down way too hard on the upper screw, and not hard enough on the lower screw.

The upper screw just needs to be snug – to set the gap, the lower screw does all the holding.

That’s what I see but other, smarter people will chime in soon enough!

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Z71,
    You are correct, I was exaggerating somewhat to show that it is not holding the knife. I can, have cranked on bottom screw, and it still wont hold.
    Thanks

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Can you post a picture of the vise when it’s closed? Take the picture perpendicular to the vise, so that you essentially see a triangle.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Mark76
    I have had the issue of the clamps spreading before, got those replaced. These are flush when mated together, (I have removed the screws and held them together to check for spreading,bending) are not bending. That was my first thought when I noticed knives not being secure.
    I can get a pic later though.
    Thanks

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark76
    I have had the issue of the clamps spreading before, got those replaced. These are flush when mated together, (I have removed the screws and held them together to check for spreading,bending) are not bending. That was my first thought when I noticed knives not being secure.
    I can get a pic later though.
    Thanks

this was my first thought as well. There is something going on here.

When you clamp, prior to putting the knife in, do you make sure that your bottom screw is screwed in enough to adjust for the spine width? In other words, you should have about the same amount of screw poking out of the inside of the vise (on the bottom screw) to equal how thick your spine is on your knife. That way when you tighten the top screw, the gap in the center of your vise should be almost parallel all the way up, and when you turn the lower screw once or twice it will make it perfectly parallel.

Also, have you tried clamping without the chamois?

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Mark76,
    Just tried that when I got home, same results. I have tried without chamois also

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark76,
    Just tried that when I got home, same results. I have tried without chamois also

I’m sure you could always send it in to wicked edge and Clay or Kyle can take a look at it and post the results…

James Wilson
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

I would try some lube on the threads. Also lube the end of the lower screw, where it touches the clamp.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Its the friction on the blade. Try painters tape. Its looks really polished. If that doesn’t work tighten the bottom screw more. Try another knife for a basis. Ive secured all types of knives and other items it comes down to clamping power of coarse. –

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, all good advice. Make sure you don’t overturn the top screw and securely clamp the knife using the bottom screw. Use painters tape.

And if that doesn’t work… then it’s really fishy.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m concerned about this talk about tightening the screws more. If the jaws are set up right, it shouldn’t take more than a half-turn past contact at the bottom screw. That should produce enough clamping force to hold almost any blade. If not, then something else is going on. Excess torque on the bottom screw can bend the vise jaws.

Your symptoms point at a jaw which is only making contact at the bottom of the blade. To repeat what others have said here, the top screw is only used to set the position of the jaw relative to the knife. The lower screw is used to tighten the vise. A half-turn on the lower screw will produce hundreds of pounds of clamping force.

I second the motion of using painter’s tape, but pay close attention to the alignment of the jaw at the face of the knife. If anything, you should leave the top screw slightly loose, so that when you tighten the bottom screw, the vise closes at the top of the jaw first. Ideally, the jaw faces should fit flat against the blade faces. The diagram below shows an exaggerated view of how the jaws should be positioned relative to the blade.

Attachments:
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant

All,
    I have tried all of the suggestions
    1. Oiled the top screw where the head cones into the clamp.
    2. Oiled the bottom screw.
    3. Tried different knives.
    4. Used Painters tape.
    5. Made sure gap in jaws was equal to width of knife blade by
    squeezing clamp, then setting bottom screw to just touch opposite jaw, then tightening top then bottom screw. None have worked.

I am including a link to a video of me clamping the Alignment bar as if it were a knife using painters tape. It is flat and should clamp really tight.
    but it moves easily also. I think I am about to give up!

I do have a previous post with a pic of this same knife in the clamps and it was secured.
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/4-knife-photos/8196-kershaw-chive

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’d really like to see that sharpener in person. Would you care to give a call so we can send you a shipping label? I’ll look at it and turn it back around to you quickly.

-Clay

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Clay,

I have called, they are sending new jaws with a return label for me to send this one back. Again WE support is Stellar as usual. I was only posting these vids for advice from this group on figuring out what I was doing wrong.
    Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.