Advanced Search

Knife Repair

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Knife Repair

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

A chef friend asked me to sharpen and repair a chefs knife that someone in the kitchen used as a pry bar, and broke the tip. It looks like some just filed the tip to maked it not jagged. I have a Ken Onion WorkSharp that i was thinking of trying to use to put a tip back on this knife, working slowly to not heat the knife up. I have included pics, lat pic is with my proposed reprofile. Do you think the WorkSharp will handle removing that much steel. Any suggestions?

IMG_0603
    Proposed reprofile

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I think I’d be inclined to clamp the taped up knife in a bench vise, at the knife tip.  Just below the line you’ve drawn on the knife.  Then I’d start off with a large/wide bastard file.  maybe working longitudinally. I’d use the file to remove the steel slowly in a more controlled fashion, to rough out the desired shape.  It’ll help you limit the heat and metal dust in the air.  It’ll save you “worksharp” belts too. Just my opinion.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Thanks Marc,

I had thought of that, makes sense to save on the belts, heat buildup. Do you mean to file in direction of knife tip (say from handle to tip) or across the knife from the side?

Marc H

I think tip to handle to tip.  I think it’d be smoother, quieter and less chipping.  Long wise, it’d  think it’d be more efficient with more file-knife contact per stroke.  It may also avoid laterally bending the blade  You’ll have to experiment once you get started.

Watch your hands!  Protect your self from tip contact when getting after it and in a rhythm,

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Marc,

I have wood blocks for the vice to clamp the knife between, i will wear my No Cry gloves while doing this. Will try to remember to post after pic for comparison. Thanks.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The file sounds like a good way to go. I think the Work Sharp could handle the job, but you’re going to put substantial wear on a belt or two. I always enjoy seeing restoration jobs like this. Its satisfying seeing something go from broken and neglected back to fully functional and ready for action.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Finished the repair on the Chefs knife. Used a large fine Bastard file, could not file length wise (file mostly skated), filed diagonally from handle to tip. Took quite awhile, glad knife was not a harder steel! Then used WorkSharp with a fine belt to smooth file marks out. I am happy with the results. Thanks Marc for the suggestion! Attaching pics of how i used in vise, end result. Now to sharpen!

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That looks as good as new. Nice job!

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Get yourself one of these for next time. Variable speed HF 1×30 hack.
    Grinder-1

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Readheads.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Readheads.
    Attachments:
    Marc H

Good job my friend.  You did a remarkable job. Be proud!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Redheads, did you piece this together? Do you have info for parts\pieces?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.