Advanced Search

Knife Data Base

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

Just a suggestion to Clay, on the knife data base instead of having multiple pages and having to go to the bottom to “show all” why not just do all as the default. Wish more guys or gals would post more knives especially kitchen knives. With all the different steels and quality of steels in kitchen knives it would be real helpful.

Mad ramblings of a west coast edge grinder

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Just a suggestion to Clay, on the knife data base instead of having multiple pages and having to go to the bottom to “show all” why not just do all as the default. Wish more guys or gals would post more knives especially kitchen knives. With all the different steels and quality of steels in kitchen knives it would be real helpful.

Mad ramblings of a west coast edge grinder

Thanks Wayne for the suggestion, I’ll pass it along to our webmaster. I too wish more people were posting knives (hint, hint) 🙂 I think I’m going to have to resort to bribery.

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Bribery beats barbarity every time.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Bribery beats barbarity every time.

Any suggestions?

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Entries into the database enter you into the occasional giveaway of accessories or something?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Entries into the database enter you into the occasional giveaway of accessories or something?

That sounds good. Since it’s hard to know what people already have, maybe a gift certificate or store credit? We can collect all the entries and then do a bi-weekly drawing. Thoughts?

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Have entered a knife into data base as best I was able. It doesn’t show up. Is that because it has yet to be detected, inspected, rejected and neglected
    ( regards to Mr. Guthrie since it’s near Thanksgiving ) by the “editor”?

Anyway, it’s a ProTech Runt, nice little auto knife. Used it in the kitchen the past month for cutting crosses in chestnuts ( so they don’t blow up when roasting). Worked great. I usually dislike that part, but this stout, sturdy little knife made it a pleasure.

Been using it for the usual box opening things, and thought it time for it to lose its WEPS virginity.

Small blade (< 2 inches). Not a lot of clamping options. Mfg bevel seemed to be ~ 18 degrees and that's what I maintained. Bevels not same on both sides, so since just a slight difference, I started with the 1000 diamond. My initial plan was to use only the ceramics . Used ceramic then in order: 1200, 1600, 1.4mu, 0.6mu, and stopped.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Have entered a knife into data base as best I was able. It doesn’t show up. Is that because it has yet to be detected, inspected, rejected and neglected
    ( regards to Mr. Guthrie since it’s near Thanksgiving ) by the “editor”?

Anyway, it’s a ProTech Runt, nice little auto knife. Used it in the kitchen the past month for cutting crosses in chestnuts ( so they don’t blow up when roasting). Worked great. I usually dislike that part, but this stout, sturdy little knife made it a pleasure.

Been using it for the usual box opening things, and thought it time for it to lose its WEPS virginity.

Small blade (< 2 inches). Not a lot of clamping options. Mfg bevel seemed to be ~ 18 degrees and that's what I maintained. Bevels not same on both sides, so since just a slight difference, I started with the 1000 diamond. My initial plan was to use only the ceramics . Used ceramic then in order: 1200, 1600, 1.4mu, 0.6mu, and stopped.

I've hit the OK button. The way the database is set up, I get an email of a new entry. I then log on and tell it OK.

-Clay

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

I have been doing my wife’s kitchen knives on the WEPS but they are not high end by any means. Her main set is a Hampton Forge set but I cannot find any specs on blade material other than they are stainless. I can add them to the database, if anyone is interested, since I have been keeping notes on them because I think they are going to need alot of upkeep. :unsure: The metal in these seems pretty soft but they do take a nice edge. I’m just not sure how long they will retain it.
    I have also done her Furi’s but didn’t take notes. I can get notes on those when I take them for a trip through the ceramics. (I hadn’t gotten the ceramics yet when I was sharpening those)And I’ll see how well a polished edge works on them as well! 😉

I plan on experimenting with these using micro bevels and maybe some different angles and finishing grits but I wanted to establish a baseline using the factory angles first.
    Anyway, let me know if anyone wants these cheapies in the db.

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

Just to give you my two cents worth, in the early days I thought I would be real smart and take pedestrian knives to 17.5-18.00 degrees only to watch the edges roll. Now I don’t go any less than 21.5-22 degrees. Live is wonderful. Not than the edges can’t be rolled its just harder for my clients to abuse them. You might put a small micro bevel on say around 24 degrees with a very strokes with your finest stone. I’m constantly experimenting with various techniques depending on the quality of the steel. What’s very apparent is quality and hardness is all over the place. The other thing to keep in mind is that when steel is hardened its mostly on the surface. Only thru very expensive techniques to they achieve hardening deeper in the steel. The more you sharpen the softer the steel becomes on cheap knives.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Factory edge on these was on the order of 30 degrees on the WEPS rods. Actual angles measured to be around 24-26 on the “Cube” so I tried to keep it there for now. One more reason to suspect the steel is fairly soft. I am also very cautious about material removal so upkeep will only be the minimum necessary. I will try to do no more than hitting them with the strop or the very highest grits. Of course that will be dependent on how much damage they take. I am looking into some better knives for her as well, but since she isn’t used to sharp knives and is somewhat clumsy, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. :blink: :S We’ll see. If she still has all her fingers in a few months, better kitchen steel will be on the shopping list!;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.