Advanced Search

Kangaroo Leather Strops Pack

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Kangaroo Leather Strops Pack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 5

I just purchased the Kangaroo Leather Strops.  Which spray is recommended for the strops?

Im new to the Wicked Edge and am in the process of learning, there is a lot to learn.

Thanks

Larry
    Participant

I see Micron Polycrystalline Diamond emulsion & Micron Diamond Spray which one?  I see 4 Micron to .25 Micron.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum , Larry, any or all of the diamond stropping products can be used with any of the stropping mediums.  The difference, I understand, between the Kangaroo leather and cow leather is the kangaroo is thinner and stiffer.  It gives or compresses less under stropping pressure. Those guys using the Kangaroo suggest you only need to reduce the stropping angle 1º less than the sharpening angle was set.  As opposed to 1.5º to 2º less is recommended for cow leather.  If I only had one pair of strops I would go with the 4µ, 2µ diamond emulsion sprays.  I like the feel of the diamond emulsion stropping compound.  It applies easily and stays on well.

Even though the product is called a spray it doesn’t really spray on the leather.  I touch the spray tip right against the leather and squeeze it to leave a dollop of emulsion.  Three or four spots of the spray can be spread across the entire length of the strop.  Rub the two similar grit leather strops together to spread the emulsion across the hole thing.

Be sure to wipe clean the sharpened steel knife prior to stropping to help keep the strop clean of sharpening debris. Remember to strop only in an up and off stroke. That’s called edge trailing stroke so as not to cut the leather.

I suggest you read in the forum posts about stropping like this one and this thread.  There are many others also.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Larry
    Participant

So are you saying if i sharpen at 17 degree, then strop at 18 degree?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

If sharpened at 17*, then strop at 16* to avoid rounding the edge with the kangaroo.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Larry
    Participant

Got it thanks

Marc H

So are you saying if i sharpen at 17 degree, then strop at 18 degree?

No. Just the opposite Larry.  For stropping with Kangaroo you lower the angle 1º from 17ºsharpening angle to 16º for stropping.  With cow leather you’d lower it 1-1/2º or 2º, to 15-1/2 º or  15º. You are trying to strop behind the edge or on the shoulder portion of the edge and keep the pressure off the apex of the edge so as not to round over the sharp acute knife edge.  You’re trying to smooth the bevel from the shoulder to right up to almost the edge.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

What stones do you currently have? Knowing the highest girt stone you have will help us suggest an appropriate stropping compound.

Larry
    Participant

I have the Kangaroo Strops, Wicked Edge 4/2 and 1/0.5 Micron Diamond Emulsion and Leather Strops.  Which Emulsion should i put on the Kangaroo Strops?

Marc H

I would be more inclined to apply the 1µ/0.5µ on the thinner, I believe also smoother, and more expensive, Kangaroo Leather. I’d go with the 4µ/2µ on the cow leather.  I make more use of the less expensive cow leather 4µ/2µ combination and only use the finer grit strops once in a while.  I do strop every knife I sharpen.  I don’t usually strop more than the 4µ/2µ pair.  Another consideration is try to learn your stropping technique on the less expensive cow leather strops. If you slice or gouge them it doesn’t hurt as bad to the wallet. Also cow leather replacement strop blanks are available from Wicked edge

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.