Advanced Search

Just having Fun

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Did my fist pair of scissors yesterday, my wife loves them now. Also decided to re-profile my Howling Wolf Bowie Knife to 20 deg. per side. Used the 50/80 stones to reduce time so there are some nice scratches on the bevel. Here are a couple of pictures.

It came out hair popping sharp, 50 grit through 1000 grit diamonds, Micro fine ceramics then 5, 3.5, 1 & .5 Strops. Since I go for sharp and not pretty, I don’t mind the scratches. I might use some wet dry to take them out later but it’s not a real issue so, maybe not. :cheer:

Attachments:
    DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Nice knife Jack……………….that handle material reminds me of the old Frost Cutlery stuff. Is that who this one is made by, Frost ?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Is that the bevel I’m seeing that is so wide? If so, that must have taken forever!

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Yes, Darrell it is an old Frost Cutlery, I’ve had it forever. I’m not sure what the original angle was but, it was very steep which made the edge pretty dull. The primary edge is shallow but it took forever to re-profile. The secondary bevel is very large and is what has the scratches from the 50/80 stones. I’m not kidding about the hair popping edge, it’s really too sharp for a Bowie but I like it. 😉

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

I kinda like the scratched look of the larger bevel too…………..give is a cool look and contrasts niceley with the polished main edge bevel. :cheer:

Jack Montrose
    Participant

I like the scratched look of the larger bevel also. However the ugly scratches are where the large bevel meets the smaller knife edge. My camera battery went dead and the backup battery is toast so, the pictures are not good enough to see the scratches. I ordered new batteries so when they come in I’ll add a couple of close ups and you will see right away. :pinch:

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Here are the scratches I was referring to;

Still not a great picture, I had to use a small travel camera.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

If you can get low enough and have time to kill you could refine the thinning bevel to remove the scratches it would do no harm thinning it a little in any case.

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Thanks Leo, but the secondary bevel is hollow ground so, I don’t think I could get a low enough angle to remove the scratches. However, since you made the recomendation, I will try a 16 deg. angel and see how it does. I’ll post the results in a couple of days. 🙂

Leo Barr
    Participant

I did not realise it is hollow ground!
    Do not tamper with it otherwise apart from having to remove an awful lot of steel it will not be a step forward such a knife is designed to be a working knife -hunting etc I would use it for that if you can; the scratches are exaggerated by the mirror finished bevel .
    Should you try it you would have to move the edge back to the hollow I would recommend you live with it!
    I hope you haven’t started it I cannot stress enough that I don’t think you should do it .

Jack Montrose
    Participant

No, I haven’t tried it yet. I was thinking it would be a major task because of the secondary grind so, I really didn’t want to take it down to 16 deg. I might try taking the scratches down a bit by using wet dry on the secondary grind. The only thing I’m woried about is ruining the nice look. Then again I might just live with the scratches, they are only cosmetic and I am very satisfied with the sharpness. 😛

Leo Barr
    Participant

Thats sounds the ticket.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.