Advanced Search

Jende Nanocloth

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Jende Nanocloth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett C
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hey anyone, quick question.  I was looking at the jende nano cloth strops and am a bit confused on the the coarse and fine aspects in the options.  I looked at the store on the W.E. shop and nanocloth is listed as nanocloth with no micron size associated with it.  On the jende site the cloth is listed with multiple micron count options.  I’m not sure if the micron options are for a spray or emulsion or the actual cloth itself.  If anyone knows and can share some thoughts or input I’d sure appreciate it.  Thank you so much.

<!–more–>

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the W.E. Forum Brett C.

See the last line above the red “NOTE” at the very bottom: While Kangaroo and Cow leathers can be used either unloaded or loaded with abrasive compounds, the Jende Nanocloth Ultra is meant to be used with the Jende Poly Diamond and CBN sprays and emulsions. 

The Jende Nanocloth paddles for Wicked Edge are simply color-coded nano pads to match the label colors corresponding to the Jende product’s grit size you will apply on that pad.  Whereas, with the W.E. paddles it’s up to you to label the nano cloth strop accordingly and keep them straight.

Jende-Nanocloth

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    Brett C
    Participant

Marc, thank you.  I really appreciate the time you took for a response.  That clears it up.

Do you have a preference on their sprays or emulsions or have you used their products with nanocloth?  I am planning on having or adding a set of cloth strops less than 1 micron.  I currently use a 3.5/5 cow leather strop and a 1/.5 kangaroo leather strop.  I’m looking for 1 more set of strops to add to the process.  Thanks again and have a nice end to your weekend.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Brett C.
    Marc H

I have not used the nano cloth strops. (In fact, I have a W.E. set here that are brand new).  I generally just use the 4µ/2µ pair on leather.  These days I sharpen my knives to use them.  The fine polish you seek is not needed for my purposes.

I did chase the perfect mirror polish bevels when I first started with W.E.  It was both fun and frustrating.  I learned how elusive it was.  When working at sub-µ abrasive levels it’s very hard to avoid those stray scratches and blemishes.  It’s challenging…enjoy the journey!

As I got more into chef’s knives and steel types I became more interested in sharpness and durability.  Now I simply strop as the finishing process in my sharpening regimen.  It’s just for function.  Less for aesthetics.

I have used both W.E. and Jende stropping abrasives.  They both work as expected.  I believe the abrasive products are made for them and labeled with their trademarks.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Brett C., I sent you a private message.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Brett C
    Participant

So true.  To be honest, I use my 3.5/5 cow leather 95% of the time.  I take really good care of my chef knives and I get them perfectly sharp stopping at 1500 on diamond and 3.5/5 on strops.  I like tinkering and adding to my collection here and there but in all honesty I don’t have a “Need” for anything except maybe some shapton stones or glass.  I did just pick up a vg10 takeshi saji 240mm and that knife probably will not see a diamond stone, ever.  I haven’t decided what to do with that new knife yet.  I searched the forums and read your posts about your shapton stones and where to get them and I will probably be going that route for the new knife.

Thanks again for your time!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

I searched the forums and read your posts about your shapton stones and where to get them and I will probably be going that route for the new knife. Thanks again for your time!

Hold off on ordering whetstones, just yet.  I’m in the middle of doing a whetstone study.  It’s a comparison of six different series stones, four brands.  I’m 5/6 the way through the different sets, for my first go round.  I’m trying to objectively compare my user experiences to decide how I like each stone set and which I like best.  I want to go through the process twice to be surer of the outcome.  So far, I’m really surprised by what I’ve learned.  It’s a bit time consuming because I’m trying to write up my impressions as I sharpen with the different sets, grit by grit.  I expect the second go round will be quicker.

I’ll be posting my findings when I get done.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Brett C
    Participant

That’s awesome!  I will wait for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.