Advanced Search

It's time to GO!!!

Recent Forums Main Forum It's time to GO!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tacocat
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

I just received my Go just in time for Christmas. WOW is this thing nice! It is heavier than expected, the fit and finish is amazing with tight tolerances, the rollup case is great and the tools included are good quality.

I clamped in my $.33 cent thrift store knife and brought it back from the dead in under 5 minutes. It still isn’t perfect but it is sharper than any kitchen knife in our drawer. Not bad for a novice. I even forgot (giddy with excitement) to set the angles so I’ll need to go back and start all over.

What an amazing bit of kit. I am very pleased to say it was worth the wait. I’m glad Clay made the last minute changes to make the GO great right of of the gate.

Great Job Wicked Edge!

Andy

7 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Received mine today as well and can’t wait to give it a spin. Have to wait to open it though…Wife thought that was a good Idea…argh!  Glad to hear you had a good experience out of the box tacocat. Ask for help as questions or problems arise, most of these guys are good at helping and very willing as well.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Steve

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Congratulations, Andy! And if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. And merry christmas!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Chester Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

I got mine on Friday and Sharpened all of the knives in my house. I am already looking at a 1200/1600 grit stones. I also heard there was an upgraded bag for holding all of my abrasives. I haven’t seen on their website yet.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

I am already looking at a 1200/1600 grit stones.

Hello Chester,

I was wondering what stones you have with your GO? Just the 200/600 stone? If you don’t have the 800/1000 I would absolutely get those first. The 1200/1600 ceramics are good stones for me but I would much rather have a complete set of diamond stones before I invested in the ceramics.

Dave Nagy
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Hi, tacocat, gang,

I too fired up my GO for the first time today.  It’s very nice.  I’ve also hit my first snag, so I figured I’d hijack tacocat’s thread! 😉

Very simply, my “swivels” are falling off while I’m sharpening.  They seem to start backing out of their connection to the angle-changing “sleds” almost immediately, and will eventually (within 10 minutes) fall off completely.  Besides the whole falling apart problem, this means my angle changes continuously as I work.

What’s the fix?  My guess is either: “Tighten them more”, or “Add Loctite”.  Maybe both.  Tightening them is tricky since they, you know, swivel, so any advice on that front would be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Dave, welcome to the Forum.

As a start, you may try to lubricate the ball joints.  Move and work them around in all directions and at the far margins of rotation to maybe free them up some.  Also try to slow your arm motion down and apply less pressure; keep arm weight light.  Let the stone’s abrasive do the work.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome Dave!

I don’t have any experience with the GO, so I’m not quite sure how to help you. I would suggest that you contact Wicked Edge directly. Their customer service is top notch. They respond to email within the same business day and if you call them during business hours you will talk directly to a knowledgeable person. They will surely be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and they can replace any defective parts for you if there is a problem with your sharpener.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Dave Nagy
    Participant

Thanks guys,

I opened a ticket, but figured I’d ask here as well, what with it being Sunday and New Year’s Eve and all….

I doubt that my technique — bad though it undoubtedly is — is causing the swivels to back out.  The swivelling motion would be the same no matter how much pressure I’m applying onto the knife.  I will try a bit of lube on the swivels.

I put some blue Loctite on the bolts that are backing out, and am currently waiting for it to dry. (I’ve actually only had trouble with one of the swivels so far, since I haven’t touched the other side of my first knife yet.  But I Loctite-d both sides. )

Have a great New Year, everyone!

Chester Simon
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

@sksharp

I purchased the GO, 800/1000 Stones and 0.35/0.5 Leather Strop. While I think I don’t really “Have” to get the higher grit, it would be nice for my fancy knives.

sksharp
    Participant

Welcome Dave and let us know if you fixed your problem.

Hello Chester, since you already have the 800/1000 stones I would recommend the 1500/glass platen stone before you dive into the world of ceramics. If you do decide to go the 1500 route the 6 mic. or the 3 mic. lapping film is a excellent choice for the glass platen and will impress you as well I think.

The 1500 stone is a great finishing stone and will perform better than the ceramics I believe. I have the 1200/1600 and the 1.4/.6 ceramics and they have there place and early on I really liked the finish with the ceramics and still do but the 1500 diamond after it breaks in is great and A LOT quicker. The ceramics are a different animal and don’t follow a grit progression like the other mediums. They also take a long time to break in and learn where they fit in a progression. I mainly use them now as finish stones for edges that I want to leave teeth in the edge and still refine the bevel. They cut very slowly so it’s quite easy to refine the bevel a bit while leaving the teeth in the edge. I probably use my ceramics least of all the mediums I have.

I really don’t want to talk you out of anything here but I believe you will be a lot happier with the 1500/platen with a 6 or 3 diamond lapping film at this point.

From the folks that I’ve corresponded with on this forum, I believe this would be the popular opinion of most of the guys that have experience with both mediums.

Guy
    Participant

I’m curious to know when you ordered yours? I have not received mine yet.

sksharp
    Participant

Hello Guy,

I ordered my GO on 07/04/17

Guy
    Participant

Thank you very much. This was very helpful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.