Advanced Search

is This normal for ceramic Stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum is This normal for ceramic Stones?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GROSEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

Hi

just put a new edge on a knife and Half of my 1.4 micron ceramic snapped in half.. was going slow and steady ?

any Way to fix it? Dont wanna spend 150€ on another basicly new set

Kind regards
    Martin

GROSEN
    Participant

Forgot to add pictures

Kind regards
    Martin

Attachments:
    BarmanBean
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 19

Wicked Edge components have a lifetime warranty.  Get in touch with their customer service for replacement.  I suggest calling them directly or communicating via facebook, replies to submissions on the website have been a bit slower.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i have broken the white ones like that, but not that one…..mine just come unglued.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I haven’t tried to remove a ceramic stone from its paddle, so I’m surprised to see that it’s not attached with the same tape as diamond platens.  Thanks for posting the photos.  It tells me not to go there.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I haven’t tried to remove a ceramic stone from its paddle, so I’m surprised to see that it’s not attached with the same tape as diamond platens. Thanks for posting the photos. It tells me not to go there.

We’ve tried with the tape, but the ceramics are are very porous and when people clean them with water or other products, the liquid goes right through the stones to the backside of the tape and the stones just pop right off. We’ve tried just about every kind of glue or adhesive we could find to make these things stay on but the issue is that there isn’t much that works to bond porous ceramic to polypropylene, so surprisingly, hot glue does pretty well but there are instances when they stones can come off, particularly if the glue cooled too much before the stone was applied and not enough glue found its way into the pores of the stone.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hi just put a new edge on a knife and Half of my 1.4 micron ceramic snapped in half.. was going slow and steady ? any Way to fix it? Dont wanna spend 150€ on another basicly new set

This isn’t normal but it’s also not unheard of. Thankfully, it’s under warranty and you’ll get a new set headed your way ASAP. Please just give a call: 877-616-9911 and we’ll take care of it.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    GROSEN
    Participant

Thank you Clay for your replay.

I sent you a text on Facebook with my info.. We have some extra letters to our alphabet than you guys in the US so im sure that would make it easyer as my adress use these letters. Do you need me to ship the dameged stones back? or if you need anything just let e know and i will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks again and really awesome service and great product

Kind regards
    Martin

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I haven’t tried to remove a ceramic stone from its paddle, so I’m surprised to see that it’s not attached with the same tape as diamond platens. Thanks for posting the photos. It tells me not to go there.

We’ve tried with the tape, but the ceramics are are very porous and when people clean them with water or other products, the liquid goes right through the stones to the backside of the tape and the stones just pop right off. We’ve tried just about every kind of glue or adhesive we could find to make these things stay on but the issue is that there isn’t much that works to bond porous ceramic to polypropylene, so surprisingly, hot glue does pretty well but there are instances when they stones can come off, particularly if the glue cooled too much before the stone was applied and not enough glue found its way into the pores of the stone.

Can you use heat to loosen the hot melt glue in removing the ceramic platens?  In another century, I had some experience with hotmelt in the brewery packaging field.  As I recall they used temps of over 350 F and I would think this wouldn’t be nice to the polypropylene handles.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Can you use heat to loosen the hot melt glue in removing the ceramic platens? In another century, I had some experience with hotmelt in the brewery packaging field. As I recall they used temps of over 350 F and I would think this wouldn’t be nice to the polypropylene handles.

Our temps don’t get that high. We do use an industrial gun which is hotter than a standard hobby gun but I’m not sure by how much. You can definitely heat up the stones to remove them. Running them under really hot tap water is the easiest way.

-Clay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.