Advanced Search

Is the 3 micron stone as as the 1500 Grit?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Is the 3 micron stone as as the 1500 Grit?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Syd
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hi everyone,

I ordered the 1500 grit stones from a local distributor and I was sent the 3 micron diamond stone.

Are these two products interchangeable/the same?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Syd.  That is the earlier version high grit diamond stone that WE had offered in combination with the blank glass platen, before they switched to the 1500 grit Diamond stones.  That’s another way of saying “old stock”.  It did work “OK”.  The stone didn’t have the longevity the newer 1500 grit stone has.  For the lack of longevity in abrasive life, I wouldn’t call them interchangeable.  If  you could return it or exchange it for the newer 1500 grit/glass combination, that you stated “you ordered”, I think you’ll see better long term results and have a diamond stone you’ll be able to use for a lot longer.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Syd
    Participant

Thanks Mark – that’s what I wanted to know. But apart from longevity, is the “friction” level comparable? I’m using it in a progression from 1000 before using the 6 and 3 micron lapping film.

When I saw the stones were 3 micron, I thought using it in this way would be redundant given the lapping films are 6 and 3.

Marc H

I’m much happier with the 1500. The abrasive action of the 1500 is more consistent and I have used it for a long time.  I felt the 3 micron lost it scratch rather quickly so I can’t say the “friction” level compares. Sorry.  Given the  choice between the two I’d go with the 1500 grit.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Syd
    Participant

That would make sense given the 1500 replaced the “old” 3 micron.

Marc H

It was discontinued by WE. (see fine print at bottom of product description.)

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The 1500 grit is made by the same manufacturer as the other WE diamond plates and has been unanimously praised for its performance and longevity. The 3 micron diamond plate (which was made by DMT if I recall correctly) was not as well loved. I recall that people said it didn’t last as long as you would expect and it seemed to leave a scratch pattern that was more coarse than expected given its grit rating. The new 1500 grit diamond stone is what you want. I would return / exchange the 3 micron if you can.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Syd
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

‘I’m getting the stones replaced with the 1500

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.