Advanced Search

Is Strop Repair Possible?

Recent Forums Main Forum Is Strop Repair Possible?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  airscapes 05/21/2019 at 5:37 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

MarcH
    • Topics: 56
    • Replies: 1705

Ted I always use the stone stop collars when sharpening, both an upper and lower stops to limit the sharpening stone motion and improve my stone use efficiency across the knife edge.  I just remove the top stop collars when stropping.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

1 user thanked author for this post.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 89

This is as good a spot as any to ask.. Anyone try double faced carpet tape in place of hot glue to install replacement leather?  Just figured it would provide a smoother surface than hot glue and would still be removable…

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 24

This is as good a spot as any to ask.. Anyone try double faced carpet tape in place of hot glue to install replacement leather? Just figured it would provide a smoother surface than hot glue and would still be removable…

That would be somewhat similar to using Scotch double sided tape, wouldn’t it? If I remember, the carpet tape is a bit thicker and requires heat to activate. I would be interested in your opinion if you decide to try it out.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 89

Yes it is a little thicker than Scotch tape and does not need heat as far as I know, at least I have never heated it as it is very sticky..

The reason I thought about using it, was after removing the damaged leather, I removed all the glue but missed a spot in one of the holes and did not realize it.  When placing the new leather on the handle when checking for size and fit, I felt the bump which was that dab of glue..  I thought would it not be better to have the leather fully flat on the handle over it’s entire length and width rather than having a bead of glue under it.  It was just 2 stripes of hot glue holding int on not as if it was evenly applied to the entire handle..

I will try it and see how it work, not as if it can not be reversed and glue use should it not hold up.

Will let you know on how it goes.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.