Advanced Search

Is Strop Repair Possible?

Recent Forums Main Forum Is Strop Repair Possible?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Ted I always use the stone stop collars when sharpening, both an upper and lower stops to limit the sharpening stone motion and improve my stone use efficiency across the knife edge.  I just remove the top stop collars when stropping.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

This is as good a spot as any to ask.. Anyone try double faced carpet tape in place of hot glue to install replacement leather?  Just figured it would provide a smoother surface than hot glue and would still be removable…

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

This is as good a spot as any to ask.. Anyone try double faced carpet tape in place of hot glue to install replacement leather? Just figured it would provide a smoother surface than hot glue and would still be removable…

That would be somewhat similar to using Scotch double sided tape, wouldn’t it? If I remember, the carpet tape is a bit thicker and requires heat to activate. I would be interested in your opinion if you decide to try it out.

airscapes
    Participant

Yes it is a little thicker than Scotch tape and does not need heat as far as I know, at least I have never heated it as it is very sticky..

The reason I thought about using it, was after removing the damaged leather, I removed all the glue but missed a spot in one of the holes and did not realize it.  When placing the new leather on the handle when checking for size and fit, I felt the bump which was that dab of glue..  I thought would it not be better to have the leather fully flat on the handle over it’s entire length and width rather than having a bead of glue under it.  It was just 2 stripes of hot glue holding int on not as if it was evenly applied to the entire handle..

I will try it and see how it work, not as if it can not be reversed and glue use should it not hold up.

Will let you know on how it goes.

airscapes
    Participant

Installed the new leather for the 4 micron side with the Shuretape,  have not used yet but it seems like it will be fine and is nice and FLAT.

Image2944549936555669929
    Image8545762508963974028

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Flat is a good thing. Do you think it will be easy to remove when the time comes again?

airscapes
    Participant

Not sure,  but it’s just tape.. May take a bit of scraping and some googone to get it off the handle but it will release from the leather more readily than the smooth plastic.  If it is too stuck, I would think you could go right over the previous piece of tape should the need arise.  As you can see, I am due for a new roll of tape, I use it a lot, seems to work better for many  things than the 3m thick stuff does.

I always called this carpet tape as I normally would find it in the Home Depot isle with the carpet but it may just be generic seam tape.. no numbers on the roll..

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by airscapes.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I am going thru a home remodel and I have areas where I need to remove old caulk, or paint or glued tiles. I found a heat gun like this one (https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-5721112-63104.html) makes life a whole lot easier. I’m not sure how they’ll work on the handles tho.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Most of us have torn up a strop pair or two at the beginning when first learning how to use them, as we figure out our techniques.  After replacing my first strop leathers on the paddles pairs for the profile I usually utilize, I haven’t needed to replace the leather since.

For that reason I do like the hot glue, that’s used on them originally.  It’s quick to apply and holds very well when applied properly.  When it’s time to replace the strop leathers, they lift then pull right off, easily.  The old glue peels off cleanly and easily leaving you ready to do it all over again.

Hot glue guns are easy to use and pretty cheap to buy.  Just be sure to use an appropriate glue.

I’ve used spray contact cement in the past to glue on the replacement leathers.  That stuff is pretty permanent and leaves a tough dry glue and leather residue to try to remove.  The hot glue is quicker and easier to apply and stays put until I need to replace it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

airscapes
    Participant

Just wanted to update the results of using the tape to install the leather.   It really works well, that set of strops are much flatter than the rest and seem to flex the least.  I am tempted to remove the rest and reinstall or replace if they don’t come off well.  I thought I had bought this tape at HD but could not find it so I sent a mail to the company, they finally responded today.  It can be purchased at Ace hardware under the Duck or ace brand.  They also provided an amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Indoor-Outdoor-Fiberglass-Double-Sided/dp/B00L4DU01Q/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=duck+brand+fiberglass+carpet+tape&qid=1559656411&s=gateway&sr=8-5

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.