Advanced Search

Introduction

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Robert Huffman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Hello all,

This is a forum for double reed players to raise questions and share tips and experiences with others in the double reed community.

By way of introduction, I am an oboist and I retired last year from The U.S. Army Band, “Pershing’s Own” after 33 years. Just last year I discovered Wicked Edge and after a lifetime to knife sharpening being the bane of my existence, I now enjoy razor sharp knives consistently. This system has made a huge difference in my reed making!

I studied with Earnie Harrison at LSU and then later with Don Hefner and Gene Montooth for graduate studies at The Catholic University in Washington, D.C. Since then I have studied with Cindy de Almeida and Jonathan Blumenfeld. More recently I have studied also with Shea Scruggs and Chris Philpotts.

For sharpening knives – I use 21 degrees on the left side and 23 degrees on the right side. I use the diamond stones 100-1000, ceramic stones (1200/1600 grit) and finish with the 5µ and 3.5µ strops. For touching up the knife I go back to the ceramic stones and then the strops. For creating an edge for scraping bark and starting a reed – I use an older knife and sharpen only to either 600 or 800 grit and the use the strops.

Please feel to introduce yourselves to our community and let us know what you have learned.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hallo Robert! Willkommen hier! It is good to have another reed player on our forum…as far as I know, you, Tom and I are the only ones. However you are the only double reed player since Tom and I play clarinet, he much better than I! 😉
    I look forward to hearing more of your sharpening experiences as well as some of your oboe playing anecdotes. By the way, I guessed you spoke German. Was I right?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards
    Löwe/Leo

Robert Huffman
    Participant

Hallo Leo – was für eine Ãœberraschung von Ihnen auf Deutsch zu hören! Sind Sie Deutscher – wohnen Sie in Deutschalnd? Benützen Sie Messers um Ihre Blätter zu schaffen wie Oboisten?

Es ist eine Freude von Ihnen zu horen!

Auch mit freundliche Grüßen,
    Robert

(for non-German speakers)
    Hello Leo – what a surprise to hear from you in German! Are you German – do you live in Germany? Do you use knives to make your reeds?

It is a pleasure to hear from you!

With friendly greetings also,
    Robert

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Nein, ich bin kein Deutscher, sondern ein kanadisches griechischer Abstammung. I would love to say that I speak and write German really well, but to be honest, I used Google translate. This way I learn a little bit more every time I translate some conversation in another language. I like to learn other languages besides English, Greek and French that I can use.
    I don’t make my own reeds but when I used to play a lot I would shave my reeds for better tone. I know oboe players are very particular about their reeds and oftem make their own. It is good that you picked the WEPS to sharpen you tools…it is an excellent sharpener. I collect knives and I bought a WEPS 2 years ago and have become a kind of spokesman for them where ever I go. I am sure it irritates people from time to time since I am a vocal fanboy! 😉
    Once again my musical friend, welcome aboard our forum. Post whenever you have a question or some advice for other members here. Good talking to you!

Warm regards
    Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hallo Robert,

Willkommen im Forum! Gut auch Menschen aus dem Reed-Community hier zu haben.

Ich glaube, dus hast zu den richtigen Platz gekommen. Wenn du Fragen hast, bitte zöger nicht zu fragen.

Und weil wir gerade beim Thema sind: werden wir, Deutschsprachige, das Forum übernehmen? :mrgreen:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Nein, nein, Mark! Der Global Modertor ist griechisch, so sind wir in der Steuerung hier! Verstehen Sie!

Kommandant Leo ROTFLMAO! :silly:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Jawohl, Herr Leo! :silly:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Hey Robert! It’s good to see you here – and it was a great surprise to see you in Ohio under the Wicked Edge banner!

It would be nice to get more double reeders interested in the WEPS, and sharpening in general. With you here, it certainly gives us some credibility!

B)

Robert Huffman
    Participant

Hallo Mark,

Vielen Dank für Deine Gruß auf Deutsch! Leider ich glaube wir sind auf ein Englisches Forum. 🙂

Robert

(translation: many thanks for your greeting in German! Unfortunately, I think we are an English forum.)

Robert Huffman
    Participant

Tom – thanks for your kind words. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help and support over the years, not to mention your great knives!

Oboists face so many obstacles and it absolutely wonderful to have people like you and Clay in our corner.

Just demonstrated Wicked Edge for a member of the Boston Symphony this morning. He was very impressed.

Anne Megan
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

Hi musicians- I just joined the ranks of a Wicked Edge User. I’ll check in now and then and look for tips. I’ll share some when I have any. It’s still pretty new to me. I’m an oboist and am hoping that this will improve my reed making!:S

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Welcome Anne! I play the clarinet as does Tom Blodgett who also hangs around here. He is a pro and I am one who tinkers in a jazz like way with the clarinet. If ever you need help with shaving and shaping your reeds, Tom is the guy to talk to. He runs the Taiwan Symphony Orchestra and he lives there where he also is the main dealer for Naniwa Water Stones. A PM to him will get you expert help. As for sharpening generally, all of us are willing to help in any way.
    Good to have you aboard.

Best regards
    Leo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.