Advanced Search

Interested…help narrowing it down please

Recent Forums Main Forum Interested…help narrowing it down please

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Randy, the F & S does have the basic Screw Style Clamp.  This clamp with one side fixed will cause a lean or cant to the clamped blade.  This can be corrected for if the error is measured and added and subtracted from the individual rod angle settings.  This should help keep the bevel height even.  Bevel height is also determined by your technique and stroke number.  If you observe a new knife right from the factory, under magnification, you’ll see that quit often the factory bevel is uneven.

The “F & S Pro” model includes the self centering vice which eliminates clamping error when used correctly.  It also has the split jaws and tension adjustment which allows for easy clamping of a wide variety, shape and style of knives quickly and effortlessly.

The angle change at the ends of the axis is really negligible.  More important is the repeatability of bevel when clamped at the same initial setting.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Randy, and welcome to the WE forum.

You’d have to have significant differences in angle to produce noticeable bevel width differences.   A blade leaning toward one side in the vise could help to cause it, as could setting the micro-adjusts differently.  More likely, they are caused simply by sharpening more on one side than the other.  This is why we use alternating strokes, or count strokes per side.  At any time during the stoning process, but particularly at beginning, you ought to watch for bevel width uniformity.   If you see a difference that bothers you, execute more strokes on the side that has the narrower bevel.  The objective should be to move the apex back to the centerline.

If the angle changed significantly during the sharpening process, you’d have to make periodic corrections in the angle.  That doesn’t happen.  I have seen angle changes on the order of 0.1 or 0.2 degrees from beginning to end, depending on the amount of edge removed, but this shouldn’t be enough for us to even talk about.

The fore and aft angle changes you talk about are a function of blade geometry and can be compensated for by choosing a clamp position favorable to that geometry.  We call it “finding the sweet spot.”  If the blade is reasonably straight from tip to heel, the angle does not change, regardless of the length of the blade or how it’s mounted in the vise.  If you can reach the far end of the blade, the angle will still be the same.

If you are obsessive-compulsive enough to fret over these issues, you are one of us and the WEPS is your best option.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Attempt to enter comment number 3:

Tom – are you having trouble w/ the forum?

Yup: I submitted a comment and as soon as it posted, I saw a spelling error and selected “edit.” I made the change, but when I re-submitted it, it was rejected as a duplicate of a previous comment – which was gone. I tried to reopen the thread in a new tab and when I submitted it, I was again rejected for the same reason, although the original comment was gone. Finally (attempt number 3) I added the opening sentence to make the comment appear to be new. Voila! It worked. This was not not the first time I’ve had this happen – it was probably the third or fourth. It seems only to happen if you do an edit immediately after the first posting. It has caused me to copy each post to a blank Word document before submitting so as to not lose the text – or more correctly – the train of thought. If you’ve composed a really long comment (as some of us are wont to do), only to have it waft off into the ether, never to be seen again, it can be frustrating. Thanks for noting the frustration, Clay.

My first guess is that this is a consequence of an anti-spam setting we use. It prevents spammers from rapid-fire pasting the same comment in multiple topics or replies. So, I think there’s a “cooling off” period that requires a couple minute wait (I’ll look it up, for the exact time) before you’re allowed to post the same reply, even if it’s a completely legitimate edited reply.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

tcmeyer
    Participant

My first guess is that this is a consequence of an anti-spam setting we use. It prevents spammers from rapid-fire pasting the same comment in multiple topics or replies. So, I think there’s a “cooling off” period that requires a couple minute wait (I’ll look it up, for the exact time) before you’re allowed to post the same reply, even if it’s a completely legitimate edited reply.

Sounds right to me, except I don’t understand why the original post is hidden.  Could you add a bit of code to prompt the editor to wait a few minutes before resubmitting?  And why did Mark76 see my original post in pink?  Because he’s a moderator?

tcmeyer
    Participant

Of course!  When a poster selects his own post for editing, it is held in purgatory, pending his changes.

Marc H

I’m not sure editing is the culprit, at least not for me.  I often post a thread, read it and edit it.  Often after reading it with the edit, I re-click edit and edit further.  Sometimes I may edit 3 or 4 times in fairly quick succession before I’m OK with the Post.  I’ve never had this issue!  Maybe it’s something else?  I edited this post!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Randy, I think Marc and Tom gave a good explanation. On the F&S model (and some other models), only one side of the vise moves. This may cause one side of the knife to be sharpened at a slightly steeper angle than the other side. But I must say this effect is so little it is almost negligible. And if you want to, you can use an angle cube to re-position the rods. So I completely agree with Marc when he says:

The angle change at the ends of the axis is really negligible.  More important is the repeatability of bevel when clamped at the same initial setting.

Another reason may be that you didn’t clamp the knife completely vertical. This is sometimes the case for some people who sharpen FFG knives. I find it easy to alleviate this by using a piece of chamois.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant

I never noticed this anti-spam setting. In fact, it happens to me once in a while that I press “Submit” after typing a new message, but that the server (or my internet connection) is slow, so that the message doesn’t appear within a few seconds. I then think I may have mis-clicked the button and press “Submit” again. The end result is that my message is posted twice.

Mark76
    Participant

Sounds right to me, except I don’t understand why the original post is hidden. Could you add a bit of code to prompt the editor to wait a few minutes before resubmitting? And why did Mark76 see my original post in pink? Because he’s a moderator?

This is possible, but I think this is unlikely: I’ve never had this before. And as I wrote, the pink message was there only temporarily (glad I made a screenshot). Now it’s gone again.

I’m not sure editing is the culprit, at least not for me. I often post a thread, read it and edit it. Often after reading it with the edit, I re-click edit and edit further. Sometimes I may edit 3 or 4 times in fairly quick succession before I’m OK with the Post. I’ve never had this issue! Maybe it’s something else? I edited this post!

I thought editing was the culprit, Marc, because you wrote you had had a similar experience as Tom. Under what circumstances did your message(s) disappear?

Marc H

I have lost posts while working on them.  Sometimes I open a second or third browser window to reference an item or verify something.  While tabbing between windows I have lost the unfinished, unsubmitted post.  I never lost one while editing.  Like I said, I edit posts frequently, right after the initial posting to correct spelling or grammatical errors.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

So you were writing a post (but not submitting it yet), then went to another browser window (or tab?) and you came back to the original window/tab and the post was gone?

Marc H

Basically, yes…I can’t remember the exact specifics of the situation.  But yes I lost an unfinished, un-posted, Post I was composing.  Mark it was probably operator error.  These situations often are.  I probably did something to lose it without realizing it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

That indeed sounds more like an operator error (or even a browser problem) than a forum problem. Unlike Tom’s problem, which I think is forum-related.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Basically, yes…I can’t remember the exact specifics of the situation. But yes I lost an unfinished, un-posted, Post I was composing. Marc it was probably operator error. These situations often are. I probably did something to lose it without realizing it.

This has happened to me quite a bit – in fact, it happened just last night.  A bit later on, I posted a comment on the spatchcocking thread and hit submit before heading off to bed.  Only to find no such post this morning.  Nor could I “back up” the tab (which hadn’t been closed) to see where I’d left it.  This too has happened to me more than once.  I’ve attributed it to some form of operator error, but I can’t imagine what I might have done wrong.

I think we need a fix to the “Submit” button.  It should tell you that your submission is in process.  Mark76 has mentioned frustration with the lack of any indication that the submission has been accepted.  ChrisB:  Can you help us out here?  Make the button blink or go “gray” or something.  Anything.

How about if we could keep copies of unsubmitted drafts on the user’s profile page?  This would let us retrieve “lost” comments.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

I’m looking into this, sorry for the frustrations.

While I’m on the topic of forum improvements, it’s driving me crazy how the Reply button slides over to the left after you click Thanks (it changes to ‘Remove Thanks’ and so I’ve accidentally clicked that a couple of times).

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.