Advanced Search

Installing new leather strops

Recent Forums Main Forum Installing new leather strops

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    keith
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 13

Hey guys, I bought some replacement leather for my strops. My are getting pretty nicked up. My questions is how do I change them out? I have no idea how the leather attaches to the base. I don’t want to do anything until I understand how to go about it. Does anybody know the procedure?

Many thanks, Keith.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The leather is attached with a hot glue adhesive.  The leather pulls off fairly easily then the residual glue scrapes clean easily too.  I glued my new leather on with 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive from Home Depot.  It’s a spray on contact cement.  Then I clamped the leather flat for a few hours.

I don’t know how difficult the leather will be to remove when glued with the Super 77, though.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    keith
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 13

Thanks, Marc. Can you tell me what the substrate is under the leather? Is it aluminum?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Can you tell me what the substrate is under the leather? Is it aluminum?

The (cow) leather was glued directly to the plastic platens on all of them I have replaced, and on all other W.E. (cow) leather strops I own.  On the balsa wood strops, the balsa was mounted directly to the plastic.  The nano-cloth strops appear to have a backing plate.  I have no experience with the Kangaroo strops.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.