Advanced Search

Installing New Ball Joint Arms

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Installing New Ball Joint Arms

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Just receieved the new ball joint arms, so far love em! I am now able to do some knives that i couldnt do before (Wenger Swiss Army Knife for one). My question is after installing the new Degree Bar, Riser, Arms (with the nut on the Micro adjust screw of both arms all the way tight against the arm holder) The left side set at 20 deg with an angle cube, the right set set at 20deg with same angle cube. The Degree marking on the bar on the left is at 21deg, the bar on the the right is at 24 deg. When i installed the riser there was not much movement at all from left to right, so i just centered which is pretty much the way it wanted to go.I will always use Angle Cube to set anyway, just wondering why so much difference in marked settings on the bars? The knife that was in the jaws was a Wenger Swiss Army knife, but i checked with just a Starrett 6″ steel ruler in the jaws, with the same results. Have I done something wrong? Would appreciate any help suggestions.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I don’t have an answer, but that seems quite a difference. I was going to suggest if you can, post a picture of your setup, and maybe it will help to diagnose. Some members here are pretty good at spotting anomalies in a pic. 🙂

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I saw a youtube video by a guy named ‘M0DiFiEDZ’
    Here is the link:

I’m not sure this is a fix, or an explanination, but it may give us some insight. At least it’s a starting point.
    I think he has pre-release ball joints and riser, but functionally they look the same.
    I hope this helps.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

FredHermann,
    I had seen that video, my components did not have that much play in them combined like his did. I will take apart again and try. In my haste to hurry up and get it together to see how it would work i could have slipped a little. You know, just like a kid with a new toy..Ha Ha!

Thanks for the reply!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Interesting video. Thought I’d mention at the very end, he ends up putting the arms on backwards… what he shows isn’t the way they’re supposed to be. (Just in case someone new watches it). 🙂

Also, as pinkfloyd74 mentioned, the tolerances are tighter now than what’s shown (as well as you get a new angle rod), so some of that may not apply either. It is a good point though, to make sure it’s all lined up.

I did, when I set mine up, adjusted the microfine adjustment so that the left is a degree higher than the right, on a thin blade. That way, if I sharpen a knife, and don’t use the angle gauge… I should be pretty close setting the same degree on each side.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

To cbwx34,

Ha! had to go back and look at the video. Funny how you can overlook somthing as obvious as that.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Yes, I think the new version is pretty tightly made. What makes me look at his are the brass ball joints, and date he posted. But he did say he thought he had them on backwards.
    This dovetails nicely into my thoughts on ‘my unboxing experience’. A decent link to setup directions would avoid much of this. As it is, we’re all kind of experimenting. Which is both good and bad.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.