Advanced Search

Industrial Sharpener

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Industrial Sharpener

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Interesting, My first thought is the height, work from a low table or stand up?
    Will have to see it in use. Like the idea of the knife being centered. If it adjust both
    sides at the same time, will you be able to customize the stone adjustment if the need arises?
    Great to see WE is developing and trying to improve.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I will look forward to more details. Why do I think that the price of this device will run into the thousands??? Maybe why it is called an “industrial” Sharpener.:(

I’m not sure what the pricing will be yet. At first it will be higher since we’ll be completely machining each unit. If the demand grows, I’ll get some tools made and we can cast, extrude some of the pieces to bring down the price. Starting by machining it has the added benefit of allowing us to easily make changes as needed while we’re collecting feedback.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Interesting, My first thought is the height, work from a low table or stand up?
    Will have to see it in use. Like the idea of the knife being centered. If it adjust both
    sides at the same time, will you be able to customize the stone adjustment if the need arises?
    Great to see WE is developing and trying to improve.

Nice observation – at the moment it’s set up to use standing on a standard height counter or can be used sitting on a low table. The unit is just shy of 18″ high from the bottom of the base to the top of the clamp.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Industrial sharpener in action (first couple minutes of video)….

Lookin’ good! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Great info Curtis
    Thanks
    I can see one in my future

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I can see really wanting one in my future.
    I am afraid that I would really have to increase my sharpening revenues to justify buying one though..

A few questions.
    Will there be a way to select different depths for mounting a blade? I don’t see that in the pictures. It looks like that would be a fixed depth, at least from the current pictures.

What about setting the position fore and aft in the clamp. Is some kind of gauge planned?

What do you foresee being the achievable angle range, say using the current standard (is it 5/8″) width blade.

Are angles continuously adjustable, or are there detents for specific angles?

It does look mighty fine…
    :ohmy:

Jeff Lantz
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I was thinking this could be an upgrade whereas existing owners send theirs in and get retrofitted for a nominal fee…:)

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

It doesn’t look like there would be much in common other then the ball joints (doubtful if you look closely at the pictures that Clay posted) and the arms.
    Wishful thinking… on the retrofit I am afraid…

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Thanks for posting that video, Curtis! That looked almost too easy to use! :cheer:

I know I will be wanting one!

wickededge
    Keymaster

I can see really wanting one in my future.
    I am afraid that I would really have to increase my sharpening revenues to justify buying one though..

A few questions.
    Will there be a way to select different depths for mounting a blade? I don’t see that in the pictures. It looks like that would be a fixed depth, at least from the current pictures.

What about setting the position fore and aft in the clamp. Is some kind of gauge planned?

What do you foresee being the achievable angle range, say using the current standard (is it 5/8″) width blade.

Are angles continuously adjustable, or are there detents for specific angles?

It does look mighty fine…
    :ohmy:

Great questions.

• I’m working on a couple of ideas for the depth control, hopefully built into the machine so no tools will get lost.
    • For the fore/aft positioning, I’m imagining a hinged gauge the can be rotated up to position the blade and then dropped back down out of the way. I might even try to add a sliding but lockable stop along the length of it.
    • We still have to do some work on the gearing system so that there are detents for each angle.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Just did a little drawing of a possible depth gauge and sent it off to the machine shop. The drawing only shows a gauge on the front of the clamp though I’m sure we want one on the back as well so we can control the pitch of the knife. I’d really like to find a way to tie both the front and rear gauges together so they move together when being positioned. Maybe a steel rod or bar that connects them and passes through the jaws of the clamp would work, though it would have to be very thin, thinner than whatever blade is being clamped so it doesn’t prevent the blade from being clamped, but then I wonder if it would be rigid enough to do the job of moving the rear gauge along with the front. Here is the drawing of the front depth gauge in place:

Attachments:

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Looks nice.
    Could you do the connecting rod external to the clamp? Sort of a drawer handle type of connector between the two rods. Remove the entire thing when not in use ?? Sort of defeats the purpose of having everything self contained …and no parts nor pieces to lose.

One thing about the whole depth setting idea. As it stands, at least from the photos, there just is not much distance between the “shelf” and the tips of the jaws to make much in the way of height adjustment. Maybe that is fine. As long as you have a reference to go back to, it all should be good.

What do you plan as the max and minimum angles available?

Are those different ball joints? They sure look like it.

wickededge
    Keymaster

The shelf on the frame where the spine rests is 0.285″ from the top of the clamp though we can make it deeper. I was thinking about two more positions, essentially splitting the distance in thirds. I think it might be possible to include the connecting rod underneath the fulcrum so there wouldn’t be an interference issue with the clamping action.

In its current configuration and the regular standard of 5/8″ of blade extending from the top of the clamp, the minimum angle is 15 degrees and the maximum is 30. I’d like to get the angles down to at least 12 degrees and would really prefer 10 though I’m not sure how hard that will be yet.

If the ball joints look different in the drawing, that’s my fault. I’d been planning on using the same ones that we’re using in the Pro-Pack 2 though now that you mention it, I might look into the HD joints that Billabong was using. Those could be great for this machine.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

New video popped up…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0bGYY4Vcw

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Yeah, baby!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.