Advanced Search

Inconsistent bevel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Connor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

I have a few hand sharpened blades that don’t really have much or an inconsistent bevel. Just curious how to sharpen these with a wicked sharpener?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Connor, for knives with bevels that are inconsistent or indiscernable the Wicked Edge is used to profile the knife edge to bevel angles of your choice.

A bevel angle is chosen that is appropriate for the knife’s use, size, design and steel type.  You may be able to research the knives on the internet for their specs, if you know the brand(s) or maker(s).  The W.E. is then set up to that angle of your choice.  The knife is then sharpened to apply that edge profile.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

Not sure if you’re talking about the same thing, but I have a lot of blades I’ve hand-sharpened over the years and inadvertently converted the bevel from a flat one to a complex, faceted, convex one.

My practice, for now (still a beginner myself with a few dozen blades under my belt) , is to select what seems like a good bevel angle for the purpose of the knife, EDC, kitchen, butcher, etc. If I can discover it, I’ll use the manufacturer’s suggested angle. I then use the Sharpie trick for “finding the sweet spot”, but instead of looking to remove the Sharpie evenly from heel to tip (impossible before restoring a flat bevel), I look to have a nice, shiny line right in the middle of the convex bevel. In other words, the area where the Sharpie is removed will be equidistant from the edge and the shoulder of the rounded bevel.

Now when I lay down the new, flat bevel, it should be uniform from heel to tip of the blade.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Timm.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Timm.
    Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

Here’s what I meant:

With that streak centered for the length of the blade, I feel confident in laying down a flat, uniform bevel. This one came out great.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.