Advanced Search

I'm aiming at eventually doing this edge to my Para 2

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies I'm aiming at eventually doing this edge to my Para 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

My new to me Para 2 has a factory edge now.  I picked it up last friday.  As with my other knives like the Benchmades they have S90V and S30V steels which are very hard.  From the hardness charts this Para 2 has CPM 110 steel which looks to be even harder than my other steels.

Now I don’t plan on attemping new edges on my folder collection very soon, but after I get through enough knifes and more experience and my stones wear in a little these are the types of mirrored and combo micro bevel edges I’m going for.

My question is since I don’t have the knife in the pic which has that sweet mirrored and wide bevel what would you say the angle is on that knife?

Knife in question is in the vice.  My Knife is the one with the purple G10 handle.  I thought it was purple, my son I think saw it as blue and we were both wrong as the spyderco web page calls it “Burple” 😆

Actually, the way I came to buy this Para 2 is a guy in my office owned it and also has a WE system.  He said the CPM 110V steel was so hard to try and re-profile he was messing it up so he sent it back to spyderco and they put a new factory edge on it.  H said he was not a fan of how hard that steel is and he said he was going for a similar model with a different steel.  I said I’ll buy it and we decided on $120.  He then bought the model he wanted off amazon for around $167.  So it was a win/win for both of us.  This one I bought is a great knife all around.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That’s a screengrab from Razor Edge Knives’ video on the new 2017 gen. 3 clamp, right? Josh is a member here so you could PM him. I would guess that is 10 degrees per side.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Thanks Organic.  Your icon always makes me smile each time it pops up!

10 degrees would probably make especially this steel or any edge cut to 10 degees really prone to chipping wouldn’t it?

Too bad as thats a great looking edge.

I PM’d Josh this AM.  No rush as I’m a long way from attempting and edge like that on my good folders.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Expidia.
    Organic
    Participant

I would agree that it is probably a delicate edge if it is as acute as I think it is. My estimate is based on the fact that most Spyderco knives usually come from the factory with a 15-17 degree per side edge so you’d have to thin the blade pretty substantially in order to get bevels that wide. I suspect that Josh has a micro bevel on it to make it more robust. He’s a very skilled sharpener so I’m sure he has it dialed in just how he wants it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Organic, Josh got back to me.  He said it was done at 11 degrees so your guess of 10 degrees was off by 1 degree off (clearly you’re losing your edge😜)

Here is his response (and he put a micro bevel on the firm up the thin edge) . . . Good afternoon! Yes it’s around 11 dps and you can replicate the angle doing it the same way I did in the video – with the Tormek small knife jig. I used a 15 dps microbevel on that one I believe for apex stability so it wouldn’t be too fragile for slicing tasks – but this wasn’t my knife it was for a friend and I think it was s30v steel. I would probably just go with a straight 15 dps on 110v if I were you, it will still show up as a nice mirrored edge =)

Organic
    Participant

Man, I was way off (sarcasm alert!).

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Very good eye and guess Organic 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.