Advanced Search

I was a hit

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business I was a hit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gilvary
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

Today was the first day I set up at the local flea market. I’d gathered several knives, purchased from various thrift stores and had them all sharpened to perfection. I sold 5 out of the 9 I had and sharpened 2 folders, 1 machete and a squared of military looking thing called a hatchet.

It wasn’t a great money making day, but the talk from the people was encouraging. Many promises of them bringing knives next week, and those that got their knives sharpened seemed honestly impressed.

I was amazed to find out just how many men can scratch their blades on a stone and have it come out better than my WE can do 😛 All I said was that if it works for you, then that’s what you need to do.

My jig to hold small pocket knives came in today. That’s several more dollars I could’ve made today but had to put them off until next week.

Came away with 70.00 more than I started with, and a good feeling about my future in this sharpening business.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Glad it went well for you. Wish you continued/more success.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I’m very happy to hear that you had a successful day! It brings a feeling of hope to all the rest of us.
    Thank you!
    Eamon

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

Something I forgot to mention. A retired electrical worker from Boone NC stopped by and chatted for a while about sharpening tools for your local electrical company. He mentioned axes, bush/brush type cutting tools, and especially hawk billed knives that they were all required to have on their work trucks.

Not too sure I want to be that busy, if they should say yes.

Daniel Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 22

My jig to hold small pocket knives came in today. That’s several more dollars I could’ve made today but had to put them off until next week.

Would you speak more about this jig? I’ve seem a few references to the Tormek small knife holder. Is yours the same one?

~Dan

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

Yes Dan, that is exactly what it is.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

kewl beans bob

that sounds like a nice flea spot you have going.
    keep us posted my friend
    see ya

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Thats a really good day if you had to turn knives away. If that keeps up you should get a second set up and start training someone to help out :cheer: Great position to be in.
    Jack

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

Getting ready for tomorrow, I went thrift store shopping and picked up these 5 kitchen knives and this little automatic. I sharpened the automatic and I’ll work on the other 5 tomorrow.
    Spent $4.80 on the kitchen knives and $5.00 on the little auto. Plenty of room for mark up.

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

nice ticket bob

good luck to us both for sat. spin.

hit a really kewl old cigar token today – bay spin.

Robert Gilvary
    Participant

Going to youtube to check it out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.