Advanced Search

I tried something different…thoughts?

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I’ve done some experiments of my own lately on my Hogue EX01, which is a fantastically tough 154CM blade I’ve taken to chopping thick encroaching weeds and even small saplings with until I get some beefier hardware for brush clearing. I’ve tried a few different angle offsets on the strops (I only have the 3.5 and 5 on regular leather) and noticed the feel of the edge is quite different compared to same-angle stropping. I’ve been leaning toward leaving the angle the same, as it seems to me to give more of a razor-sharp feel to it and performs better for my uses. Interestingly, as far as “feel” goes the decreased angle stropped edge doesn’t have the “sticky” sort of sharpness you can feel very clearly, though the cutting ability is still extremely good.

Having read over most of the posts I’m going to have to pick up something to peek at the edge better and experiment with micro bevels as well. I think the combination of polished edge and a toothy micro bevel will be perfect for most of my daily uses.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.