Advanced Search

i now have a new issue that just developed

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance i now have a new issue that just developed

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

You took the words right outta my keyboard. 🙂

We do agree quite often…
    ;)[/quote]

‘cept of course when you’re wrong… hehehe :evil:[/quote]

That is what I said.. we agree almost all of the time…:woohoo:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I had the same problem but caught it the first time the threads were buggered up. I pulled the metal screws out and put in some nylon screws from Lowe’s that have a big head on them. then I tightened them down really good and have not moved them since. The friction of the nylon on the threads of the fine adjustment screw keep it really snug but not too tight as a lot of force is needed to turn the screw. Or if you like the screws that are on it you can place a 1/8″ long piece of a small dowel or nylon rod in the screw hole and use that material as a cushion against your threads. Then use the original screws on top of that material to push it against the threads. Hope this helps some. This is the only modification I have done to my WEPS. I am also going to put some sort of cushion on the forward edge of my base so my rods do not chip my pretty stone base. I also plan on sharpening at my local Farmers Market with the possibility of the Flea Market and my local gun range too. Keep passing on your experience at your farmers market and hopefully everyone who wishes to do this can learn from one another.
    Thank you
    Jed

Welcome to the forum.

Great post, thanks!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

buggered up was the problem…….B)

removed cleaned up – back in and still little tight in that one spot, but works ok.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Another alternative to Loctite especially if there are combinations of different metals is a sticky lube which is applied to the threads with a sort of mascara brush it is called Tef-Gel it is a corrosion eliminator it is a sticky white grease developed for the aeronautical & marine industries . I would only apply it to areas that do not see the light of day otherwise swarf will stick to it .I do not have my WE yet but where there is intent to use Loctite this is what is used more so plus it is not quite as messy as Loctite but if you want to get it off something use rags solvent do little to it .

Cleaning is the best maintenance for tools or machines and I would imagine that if you photograph and mark things with a Sharpie bag them up with labels and then possible clean with diesel and possible tooth brushes and dry off with rags and cotton buds or doweling with rags wrapped around then lightly grease areas where the fixings have to move & use the Tef-Gel for more permanent machine screws . Everything should go together beautifully then I would wipe away any visible grease with some alcohol so swarf does not collect .

Final note Tef-Gel is expensive but if you apply it carefully a syringe full of it lasts a long time and it does not dry out

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

I found something at Lowes. I cut off part of a plastic screw and put it in the hole of the setscrew so it acts as a buffer between the setscrew and the threads of the adjustment screw. It seems to work well

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.